Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PROBLEMS

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TED, Dec 2, 2002.

1. TED

TED Registered Member

My Blazer started running like crap, so after checking the timing I pulled the distributor cap and rotor. My mechanical advance weights were overlapping. One was up on the other but the springs were still attached. After fixing this problem I ran it and it was fine, the power was back. I went to tighten the distributor hold down and I was about to shut the hood when I heard it lose about 200 rpms and i also heard a clicking noise. Right away i noticed that the #6 wire had melted to my exhaust manifold and was now arcing to it. Looks like new wires for Christmas. Anyway, I pulled the wire away and covered it with electrical tape. The next time I drove it it was running crappy about a mile down the road. I checked the wire and it wasn't arcing to the manifold, gotta be the mechanical advance weights again. How do I prevent this problem? If it's not one thing, it's another.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You can buy rebuild kits for the distributer that come with different springs and stuff from summit. If you don't want to do that now might be a perfect time to swap in a HEI.

3. TED

TED Registered Member

Yeah, maybe I should get my Summit magazine out. The distributor I have now is an HEI.

4. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

I may have an extra HEI laying in the garage....... /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

Sorry man all I had was a points distributor /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I do that have that and wires too for both kinds...points and HEI /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

junkyard and hei. i got mine for 5 bucks.

7. TED

TED Registered Member

Thanks guys, but as I mentioned I already have an HEI in it. I don't want to swap in another one if I can make a quick fix on the one that's already in there.

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I was having the same problem.The Kragens here sells recurve kits for $8.It comes with all new mechanical advance parts.The center piece,weights,the plastic bushings the weights pivot on,and new springs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. TED

TED Registered Member

Thank you Frizzlefry, all I gotta do now is find someone that will paint it for me as a Christmas present.