Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Probley jinx myself but I got a call today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Jun 3, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Lady from a local company called me for a little phone interview... sounds like she already contacted my past employeers she had some interesting questions about my short stints at certian jobs and why I quit my last job /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Sounded like it went over well, she asked about a $$$ amount I was looking for and my experience using this and that (CAD, design related) and she's going to call me back in a couple hours to setup an interview tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

So we'll see, I sent out about 8 resumes to local businesses for management and this one for the CAD job and got one call back /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Its an automotive fastener company so I might be designing auto parts, brackets and bolts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]
    (my HS design project for solid modeling using autocad... PS I have no idea what that piece is... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)

[​IMG]
    The Finyard Tandems, 6 Gensets sold for $6million
    Helped in design of cooling systems (tubes, routing, water seperators, turbo cooling, generator cooling), safety panel design, electrical safety system, base design and weight distribution and stress testing (22foot base, hole tolerences where 2mm /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif the company we ordered these from hated me /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif but the guys on the floor loved me when the base, engines and cooling tubes lined up within 1/4" and all the bolt holes on the mounting flanges on the tubes where within a degree or two so nothing had to be modified... all 6 gen sets bolted directly together /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif). I wrote and printed the safety and operators manuals.
    AutoCAD 14, C.A.P.T. (In-house design software), UNIX and window environments. Referenced old prints, ISO books, working with outside contractors for the bending of the cooling system tubes & bases, ordering misc. parts and custom designed parts (for FinYard project and others I worked on, CAT still uses those fan guards on the front of the motors, I designed some stuff for the white CAT generator trailers you might see also).

Thats my little resume for CAD work /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

very cool good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Thanks
    I'm going to pickup my Tux for my buddys wedding this weekend... hopefully it fits so I dont have to mess with sending it back and then going back tomorrow to try it on again. 30 miles each way at 12MPG times multipul trips and a $110 tux retantal is harsh on the old wallet! Things will progress faster on the truck if I can get this job!

Make my own brackets and sent them through to be made /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. jjlaughner

Tux fit pretty good, but no call back on the job for an interview tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. jjlaughner

WOOHOO I got a call for a 4pm interview... ahhh [darn] wait I have to leave at 4pm for the wedding rehearsal! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    I'm trying to setup an earlier interview time for today!

we need a little crossing fingers smiley /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Depending on how far apart the rehearsal and interview are, just tell them you'll be a little late for rehearsal.

7. jjlaughner

woohoo interview at 2pm now

the interview is local and was 4pm and the reherseal is at 5pm and on a good day 40-45minutes away not taking in account factory traffic letting out plus its friday night. If I had a 15 minute interview, I'd still be 15minutes late /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif No reason to rush both. The interview was suppost to be setup yesterday at which point I cold have asked for another time, but the lady called early this morning and left a message ont he machine for a 4pm interview... so it just had to be reschedualed /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Cool, Hope it goes well for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jjlaughner

Well I was there an hour and a half, took the tour, taked to the people I'd be working with and the starting salery is about 7K more a year than my last job /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Plus the people seem cool the company is growing, its first shift as opposed to 3rd shift and the commute is about 5minutes instead of 65miles each way!

I was the only LOCAL canadate but there are four others they where going to interview.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif More money, 2 hours less driving each day, a fraction the amount of gas (maybe $40 a month instead of $400), its working with CAD drawings instead of watching ink dry and lugging around 300lb rolls of paper.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Not to mention the 100's of types, shapes and sizes of bolts all grade 5 and 8 heat treaded zink coated that I would be around and have to measure samples of every day /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

SIGN ME UP /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a sweet deal man. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I hope it all works out for you!

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Good luck! I think I got a new job, too!

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sweet, hope you get in. i found a job for me, gonna turn my resume in monday /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Stay positive, hope you get it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Been thinking about this front and rear bumper/winch design...if I only had a friend with CAD exp... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Stay positive, hope you get it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Been thinking about this front and rear bumper/winch design...if I only had a friend with CAD exp... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I just made the brackets on mine then build from there... I have ideas in my head and if I had to CAD them out I'd forget half of them /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

as an fyi, always schedule interviews as early in the day and as early in the week as possible. This ensures that:

- interviewer is not tired
    -interviewer has not been yelled at by boss
    -interviewer is still fresh from the weekend
    -interviewer is sipping their fave cup of coffee
    -interviewer is not loaded with the days or weeks task
    -interviewer is not tired.

If an interviewer is tired, your chances are VERY VERY rough. The tired mind is a very hard thing to convince or impress.

Best days for an interview are Tue or Wed between 8-11

later,
    paul