Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

probs accelerating & high speed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Blazer, Aug 21, 2001.

1. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

first off i put on some engine mods recently dual exhaust (flowmaster) hedman torque step hedders, holley manifold, k&n airfilter and rebuilt my carb.

When i mash the pedal it stalls out (this was b4 all the mods as well) and when i got up to 65 it feels like its not getting enough gas and it slows down to almost 40 b4 i can put my foot on the pedal and have it accelerate it again but I have Gobs & Gobs of accelration power from 20-65mph.

350, sm465, NP205, 14 Bolt w/Detroit locker(465 ratio), Dana 60 465, 38.5 swampers

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Does the "stall out" occur even in neutral when you floor it? Backfiring perhaps? If yes, try sticking a dime under teh accelerator pump lever and seeing if that makes a difference as you hit the accelerator linkage (dime usually won't stay by itself, it doesn't fit very well) Easy test of the accelerator pump/arm.

As to the 65, well, thats easy. Go 65 or slower : )

Just kidding though...if you get to that speed, do you get a bucking sensation? How about trying to hold the truck at a high RPM, NOT trying to accelerate up a large hill. Just try holding a steady speed at a good RPM. You don't want to be into the throttle a whole lot at this time. Then, after holding that speed for a few seconds, leaving it in the same gear, floor it. See if it starts to buck and lose power. Going to update my post, but mine did the above, and it apparently was a malfunctioning fuel pump. Could just as easily be plugs, wires, fuel filter, you name it, but I knew my other stuff was good, and the fuel pump was old, and under warranty anyway : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sounds like its time to replace your fuel filter. A clogged filter will do just what you are describing. Replace it before you try anything else. It's cheap and easy to do.

4. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey
    I have the same issues that you were having, I went on a camping trip and as I was cruising around 65 and some times when I would try to pass some one I would lose power or it would not have any acceleration if I kept my foot on it I would get a surge of power. I replaced my PCV valve, I recently changed the fuel pump, and I replaced my spark plugs. I still ended up with the surging problem and loss of power. From what I read I think that there is an air leak somewhere. If anyone has any info on how to trouble shoot any farther please let me know.
    Anthony

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If you think you've got a vacuum leak, take a propane torch (unlit), with the valve only slightly cracked, and run the tip around any potential leak sources - the motor will idle up whenever you come across a leak.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Had the exact same problem about a month ago. Very frustrating to try and nail it down, but I finally figured out that the secondaries were not opening. Plus the carb was in desperate need of a rebuild. So I rebuilt it myself, replaced a bunch of pcv and vac lines, then spent about a week dialing the carb in (tor the air horn off to adjust the float level and power valve about 6 times). Overall it was a great learning experience and was never without an operating vehicle.[​IMG]

James

79jimmy@home.com

7. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the input guys im tearing into it on thursday wish me luck!

350, sm465, NP205, 14 Bolt w/Detroit locker(465 ratio), Dana 60 465, 38.5 swampers

8. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Fuel filter!!!!!!!!! Just went throu all this stuff over a 9 dollar filter.

You call that dirty!?

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'd say fuel filter to the person with the passing situation and then surge on power....i've had three old chevy's now and thats the first place i check for acceleration problems...i know they are only in need of changing every 25,000miles but i change mine about every 5 just cuz running a tank below a 1/4 tank usually starts sucking any junk out of the tank that is present....other than that vacum leak...but definatley check the fuel filter first, and carry extra's! they are only what $1.99?

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed