Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

probs with 14ff yoke.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Sep 30, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Ok I am sure i have the right size u joint but for some reason my u joint moves between the dog ears in the yoke. After inspecting it I see no wear? At least none very noticeable. So here are my options: Pick a Part JY or I like the High angle driveline yoke with u bolts instead of straps. Do they make a direct replacement instead of the 1410 upgrade? How much could one expect to purchase this part?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mine does the same thing and i know it is wrong. My u-joint cap also spins around on the loose side. I believe it was all caused by bad angles....

3. stallion85

I didn't think my pinion angle was too bad.Are you getting a lot of vibes? I only have a 2 1/2" liift. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I guess I could e mail Jesse on a new yoke. Just wanted a ballpark figure.....

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Has nothing to do with angles.

You likely have the wrong U joint. What are you running?

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Has everything to do with angles....

The angles were bad which caused bad driveling vibrations. Over time these vibrations wallowed out the part of the yoke that holds the u-joint cup, thus causing the loose u-joint /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    As for having the correct u-joint. I went over to the guys that maintain all of our CUCV's and got one from them and it does the same thing. So i pulled the yoke and took a new one from them and compared the measurements at the Machine Shop. It was readily aparent what had happened.

All of this was caused by the PO of the truck. He had the lift on the truck when he bought it in 1992. Ever since then it has been eating u-joints and all he ever did was to change them out. First time i drove it i figured it out.
    Now other than it still needing a new yoke it is all smooth.

6. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I have has a similer problem but not from bad angles. Its mostly caused by those dam straps stretching out and not holding the u-joint cap well. You can see the shiny area ware the cap has been spinning in the yoke.

[​IMG]

My fix is to add u-bolts then weld in a plate on each side to tighten up the caps aginst the cross.

[​IMG]

7. stallion85

I have 1350 series u joints. I have 2 new spares and they do the same thing when I put them in the yoke. Does anyone know if Jesse sells those yokes with the ubolts in 1350 series.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone know if Jesse sells those yokes with the ubolts in 1350 series.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he does not at this time. Give him a call maybe he'll start a run of them for ya though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif