Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

prob's with 208

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bushwhacker, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

prob\'s with 208

Well I happened to yank the T case in 4 hi and it just ground like hell. I had to stop before it would go in. It shifted fine until now. I have been able to go in and out of 4hi on the go. What do you think is the problem? Shift rails? Synchros? The good news is it still has a warranty. Its only got about 2K miles or less on it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif but it still pisses me off. It was a rebuild from a local 4x4 shop. Oh well it looks like I am going to be yankin it out again. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Clay

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: prob\'s with 208

from 2wd to 4hi with an auto, in gear on the fly?? in a 208?? no way.. thats your problem right there..

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I shift on the fly with my 241. As long as the hubs are in you should be ok /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

You dont want to be in gear when you shift into 4hi. You might be able to sneak it in 4hi with the tranny in neutral at very low speed. But it will grind a bit. You can shift out of 4hi at low speeds. Ive shifted out at around 35mph with no problems.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't know if your supposed to, but I know with my 208 I could always shift in and out of 4hi at low speeds without grinding as long as the hubs were locked in. Never had a grind.

6. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

I have shifted in and out of 4Hi with both my 208 and my 205.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know if your supposed to, but I know with my 208 I could always shift in and out of 4hi at low speeds without grinding as long as the hubs were locked in. Never had a grind.

[/ QUOTE ]
    same here, even the manual says that you can aslong as the hubs are locked in and you are under 35

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I still have my auto hubs and I can switch into 4HI until about 15 MPH no problem.

9. Bushwhacker

so you are saying that you cant shift on the fly with a 208? Every one I have had never had a problem shifting into 4high on the fly even at 30mph, but you had to stop and put the tranny in neutral to go to 4low. Even this one shifted in and out at low speeds when on the trails after I put it in. However I did not have the hubs locked when I did this yesterday, would that be a reason for the grinding noise? maybe the front driveshaft not spinning was the reason? I dunno. Thanks for the input,

Clay

10. Bushwhacker

thats what I have always thought. thanks. I will go lock the hubs and see if it still does it. That may have been the reason since they were unlocked when I did this.

Clay

11. Bushwhacker

Well just went out and locked the hubs and drove it . That was the problem. Works fine and shifts in and out smooth as silk even at 30-35 mph. Now that I think of it yesterday was the only time I have shifted it without the hubs locked. The only time its in 4wd is on the trail, and I have the hubs locked then anyway. I guess that is why I never noticed it before. Whew! at least I dont have to pull that biatch out now!! Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Clay