Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Procedure for flushing your radiator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k2-k5, Jan 17, 2007.

1. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

What is the best way to completely remove coolant from your cooling system?

How do you flush out the system other then draining it adding water and repeat until there is no coolant present?

Can you use compressed air somehow to blow the system clean?

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I think you are looking at pulling hoses.

Drain normally then pull the heater hoses, air, or the garden hose should work for the heater.

Pull your lower hose off the radiator and pull the thermostat. Put the garden hose in the thermostat and run water through it.

That should do it.

If you want to end up with no water look along the sides of the block at the level of the freeze plugs. There should be a threaded plug in the block. Pull those. I don't know how much air would help there but it wouldn't hurt.

What's your objective?:confused:

3. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

I got suckered into using dex cool and want to go back to the green stuff. In the meantime my radiator is getting pin hole leaks so I plan to get a new one. I want to be sure to get all the dexcool out.

Would you have to pull the thermostat if the motor is warmed up?

4. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

you can get a "flush kit" from the parts store. basically its a fitting that goes inline with one of the heater hoses, and you attach your garden hose to. open the rad cap, turn the hose on, turn the car on, come back 15-20 minutes later

PS.. makes a big mess, so do it somewhere that drains well, and don't let the neighbors cat near it.

5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't leave it unattended, but yeh thats a great way to flush, as mentioned pull the threaded block plugs at pan level too. There may be some casting flash, or sediment in them holes, I think they are only 1/4" pipe plugs.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

pull the t-stat!

I'd pull the thermostat right out--even if it was open,once cold water hits it it will close right up again..its hard to flush a system out good,if the thermostat is closed..

You could use compressed air to blow out the BLOCK--but I'd keep it away from your radiator,especially if its weak!..take the upper and lower hoses off it,and just use the garden hose to flush the radiator..dont use air on the heater core either,unless you want to replace it!..:crazy:

7. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Well as long as it's not mixed with the green stuff dex-cool isn't bad for it... but remember that you want the proper water/coolant ratio when refilling it (you can find it on the back of the coolant bottle) use distilled water (hose water has calcium and chemicals that can clog or damage your system) and maybe an electrolysis killer to keep it from eating your heater core or radiator.