Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Procomp 40k strap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 5, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I have a 20klb 20ft strap from autozone unused bought yesterday... should I invest in a 40k procomp strap for use later on.... or just stay w/ the strap I have now.
    I'm thiking whether or not procomp is worth it or not, its like 90 bucks for one of those straps. 30' by 4"

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

buy that one and buy more at auto zone HEY YOU NEVER KNOW?

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Your strap should be fine as long as it doesn't have the hooks on it, Their unsafe IMO. But on the other hand I bought a 3in or 4in 30k strap from 4wp but I got a Canyon Crawler for 25.00 or real close to that anyway. Eric

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Always buy straps without hooks on them. They always break. The best style is the one with loop ends like the procomp. You only need the 30' by 2". Thats all I use, but I would but two. I used both of them in conjuction with a high lift to get myself unstuck. No choice on that one, broke my friends winch earlier trying to get him unstuck.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Man talking bout stuck my friends got stuck bad and broke a front driveshaft ouch! Any idea how to fix? I dont know if broke means the driveshaft snapped or fell off or what?? Oh well. Sucks for them i told them not to go! Its been raiing for a weekstraight! I woulda gone pull em out but parents wont let me...sucks.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

6. mmmmmm..... what is this strap for? mud or rocks?

if youre a rock-only person, than usually you can get away with a little less strap, if it's for stuff like getting turtled on your transfercase, you know, just needing a tug.... ( i of course defer to you guys that pull up ledges and crazy stuff like that, they're hard to come by here in south texas.)

mud, that's a different story altogether.. and also one i'm rather well versed at.... ( lifetime of muddy deer leases, and ignorant high-school trespassing jaunts....)

for mud, get the biggest damn strap you can afford, like the 4inch 40000 pounder. i've seen one break, though i think it may have been cut or something, but it whacked a buddy's toyota tailgate and dented it 2 inches inward..... from a strap.... i've also seen a fullsize ford with a built 460 take a running (~50-75 feet) start and tug an m715 kaiser out of a creek.... i was piloting the kaiser, it's a good 6000lbs, add that static weight to being 2 feet in mud, shock value of a charging big-block truck.....etc... and the strap held... that's good... don't cut corners, and you can go further....

greg

7. oh yeah NEVER BUY A STRAP WITH HOOKS!!!

somewhere here in texas or clayton OK, a guy was pulling somebody out with a chain, jerking it to free him.... the guy pulling was in a K5, with the rear window down. chain breaks, sails thru open back window and busts the driver's skull WIDE open..... dead instantly... metal hooks are projectiles, an accident waiting to happen....

8. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Why do they make straps with the metal hooks if they fail? Also, thats a scary story about the chain

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a>

9. offroadbarn

offroadbarn Registered Member

I PRIDE myself on SAFTY FIRST!!! and so should everyone else. To clerify, a TOW strap has hooks on each end and is made for TOWING a vehicle down the road behind another vehicle. A RECOVER strap (big rubber band) is made for JERKING a vehicle out of a stuck. NEVER USE A TOW STRAP FOR RECOVERY!!! remember also, avoid getting a RECOVERY strap wet, the wet strap will stretch more and could exceed its rated capacities and break. If you are involved in a recovery and you see someone doing something that you think is unsafe, YELL out STOP and correct the problem. Taking a few extra minutes to reattach a strap, move some people out of harms way, or get a better angle on the pull is ALWAYS worth it. SAFTY FIRST!!!! Chains..... Who wants to mess with chains? Heavy, loud, cold, rusty.... anyway, don't use chains for 'jerking' either. Being SAFE today, means wheeling again another day!!!!

I'm done....

Jeff Knowlton
    (512) 636-6003
    offroadbarn@yahoo.com

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I use a chain, but I want to buy a strap. JC Whitney has up to a 6" strap. I do mud, and that's probably what I'll buy. A 4" would probably be enough though.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

the autozone stuff is junk, i bought one as a last minute thing once.. I ripped the SOB in half, THAT weekend, with my bone stock 77 K10 with 31's trying to pull out a van that was stuck in the soft dirt.. and I definately didnt jerk it either, just pulling... sure sure it wasnt a "recovery strap" but either way it shouldnt have broken.. it was the kind with the hooks btw.. now I have a big fat snake rope (yacht braid) with loops on each end and a couple nylon slings that I think are rated around 20K lbs each... the stuff that the big boys use (crane operators, etc) will NOT break.

mike