Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

procomp - buy 3 get 1 free

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by makovai, Mar 1, 2007.

1. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Tommorow i'm gonna buy 40x13.5x16 xterrains.
    Has anybody run these?
    Are they anygood? procomp sure is proud of there name.

I did a search and there is nothing on this tire.

2. 01mudslinger

01mudslinger Registered Member

Just a lil advise, check around on the other prices, cuz most of the time when 4wheelparts.com or 4wheelonline.com does buy 3 get 1 free sales they jack the price of the tires up about a 100 bucks or more, i ran into that when i bought my 38's. try www.offroadtoystore.com, they were the best priced on tires i could find. That was super swampers though. Good Luck.

3. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

When I was calling around for tires up here in Ontario, a bunch of the guys said most people are buying procomp now. I asked them all if they were riding on the Xterrains, and only one of the the guys was.

He said they rode nice, but couldn't tell me about the wear, because he has only had them on his heep for about a week or so. That being said though, they were only 33's.....

4. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

According to what i was told. to get the buy 3 get 1 free, you must pay a minimum of $513 each. No exceptions........thats what i was told anyway.
    And i did ask another dealer and they told me exactly the same thing. I didn't tell them the price either, so i doubt it was coincidence that they both said exactly the same price.

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have a friend who used to have x-terrains. They wore like swampers and performed like all terrains. I would look at something else.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Your going to pay $630 each for ProCraps:eek1: ? Dude you need to rethink your tire choice even if you do get 1 free. Procomp X Terrains aren't that good even if the price was $350 each. There are many tires out there that will outperform the Xterrain for the same or less money. I would highly recommend looking into a set of just about anything else.

40" MTR's
    40" Maxxis Creepy's
    40" Swampers

They will all outperform the Xterrain for the same or less money. If you are worried about street driving then the MTR is probably be best bet, if you are looking for all out offroad performance then Creepy's or Swampers are a good choices.

Harley

7. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

I second the idea of looking at something other than a Xterrain, if your gonna do any mudding iv seen in person two rigs on them and i wasnt impressed at all.. didnt clean worth s--t. One was a Ford F150 on 35 Xterrains(5.4 engine), and the other was a K20 on 37s-39s, something in there.

Also heard they wear like crazy, as stated above.
    Have you seen the Maxxis Bighorns?

8. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

x2. I've also heard some real bad experiences about driving in snow with Xterrains. Bad enough that one guy sold his brand new Xterrains (had them on the truck for a month) after getting into a little snow at his parent's cabin. Said it felt like he was "driving on roller skates". The 38"x14.50"x16" Toyo MT's might be another good choice, although slightly smaller than the 40"s. I like the Toyo MT's on my DD. The 39.5"x13.50"x16" IROK's are another good option.

9. 71chevy4x4

71chevy4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have been told by more than one person, they don't do very well in the snow. My only experience was on the street with some 35's. They were a nice upgrade from my bald BFG Mud terrains. I got them used for a good deal, but wouldn't own any again.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the 40" X-terrains are a different tire than the smaller/other sizes. They were made specifically for Comp rigs... and in the rigs that they sponsor they seem to hook up purdy well. Do a search on pirate.

I have had a set of 35" ProComp MTs for years now... they are good tires. Not sure why people diss on them so much.

j

11. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

11.00R16 (39") Michelin XL's with 60-70% tread left at $82.50 a piece :D !

[​IMG]

Close up of tread in foreground
    [​IMG]

12. NewUser

NewUser 1/2 ton status

Pro Comp's.....when you absolutely, positively, have to go mall crawling :wink1:

13. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

lol

I have been wheelin in the snow/mud with x-terrains, and they suck. No traction, lots of slip. Granted, this was in a cherokee on 37's, but nonetheless the tires would just not grip, and that was at like 12psi on beadlocks.

Thumbs down... Get some swampers, unless you are doing some curb crawling.

14. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I had picked 3 different tires. I made the final decision of the procomps because they actually looked like a good highway tire. As a professional speedbump crawler i dont want a lousy highway ride. I sold 39x18 mickeys cause i couldn't keep the truck in its own lane.

These were my final choices:
    40x13.5x17 goodyear MTR's
    41x14.5x16 Swamper Irok radials
    40x13.5x16 procomp xterrain

I have 35" mtr's on my DD and i love them, but they just raised the price almost $100 a tire so they are out of the question.

I guess i should be looking at the IROK's then.

15. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i had 39.5 bias iroks and they didnt need ANY weight to balanace them and they rode smooth up to 75mph. id imagine the radials would be even better! thats what id go with

16. Hossbaby50

Procomps = $630 each x3= $1890
    MTR's = $405 each x4= $1620

How are MTR's out of your price range? Discount tire has them listed for $405 each. Plus from Discount you can get there replacement warranites.

Harley

17. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

go look again....they went up today to $495 each

40x13.5x17

18. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

thats absolutely crazy. you can buy 2 sets of bias iroks for that. the iroks are much cheaper and ride very smooth...thats what id run

19. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ive had a set of 37 x terrains for awhile now and they seem to be great. Took a trip on the fordyce trail last summer with them and they performed well. Also this trip included an 90 mile road trip, in which the tires sound and feel like any other smaller truck. smooth and quiet. I was told by somebody that they had gotten 30,000 out of them on the street. Thats sure better than alot of other offroad tires.

20. Hossbaby50

You might want to look again. I entered the 85017 Zipcode on www.tires.com and they come up $405 each. If they won't sell them to you for $405 each at your local store make them price match themselves.

Harley