Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Procomp electronics: copycat artists?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue85, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Anybody have any experience with this company? http://procompelectronics.com/ They have an HEI module that looks exactly like the old MSD one. Even some of their text describing it seems just like the text from the MSD web site. Then they have a coil cover that looks exactly like the one from the Accel "HEI Super Coil". Some of the dizzys look familiar, too.

I bought one of their modules off ebay thinking it was the MSD one, based on the description and pictures (almost straight out of the old MSD catalog). They use "MSD" and "Mallory" in the auction title. I assumed Mallory was some kind of typo. Now I'm not sure what I'm getting and how well it will work. Look at the listing here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8041005865&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

In my mind, this makes the seller look shady, on top of a product that looks shady.

What do you think?

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

probably a chinese knock off. they are getting good at R&D - receive and duplicate.

i guess i should work fine, have you gotten it yet?

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

When you save the picture, it even says the filename is MSD-8364. I would be wary of this company..

John

4. Blue85

I contacted Race Parts Direct via phone and they told me that Procomp is an Australian company who has been building the MSD modules all along. Apparently only recently have they been available under their own brand name in the US. I wish I could find information to confirm this from somebody who IS NOT SELLING the parts. However you look at it, the ebay ads are misleading, but maybe the product will be OK after all.

I will run it with an MSD coil and hang onto the old stuff in case something goes wrong. I was looking for a better module because the one I've been running says Hong Kong on the bottom and it sells for like $17 at Advanced Auto. I would have looked for an AC Delco, but the old module died leaving me stuck in an intersection and Advanced was just up the street.

5. Blue85

I just received this email

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Interesting... without me doing an investigation, I would bet that the austrailian line was pure BS.. but thats just me..

Glad they at least took care of the issue.

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Well, with a little quick look, procomp electronics looks to be based out of Ontario Canada.. Still sounds like cheap chinese knockoffs..

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

What aboot cheap Canadian knockoffs?