Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Procomp MT vs. BFG MT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Jun 1, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Later this month (June 19-24)Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers is having a sale on both these tires. For the Procomps its four for the price of three, while for the BFGs you get a $50 gift certificate. Which should I get? For 35x12.5 the Procomps would be $405 and the BFGs would be $550. The tread design is almost identical, so I am most concerned with sidewall strength. I have heard the BFGs are 3ply while the procomps are 2ply. Pieces of the sidewall on my current tires are coming off (stupid rocks), so I want to make sure that the sidewalls are up to the task. Thanks in advance.

Is anyone else wondering about the Blazer of the month?

Brian

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Sorry to bust you bubble, but no Radial is strong in ths side wall, by design .
    Just bite the bullet and get a bais ply.
    Remember that most Blazers can be in the range of 5500-6500 lbs.
    One sharp rock is all it takes.
    Good luck

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Are you telling me to get a bias ply tire for a daily driver? You must be kidding! Those things suck on the road!

Brian

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

BFG's have a very good reputation as far as overall toughness goes. Their sidewall is very good and these tires are used frequently for desert racing, where the last thing they want or need is a flat tire. I've never had a problem with my 35" BFG Mud T/A's.

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I was gonna get BFG's but opted for the wide country instead, 33.12.50's. I really like the way the are on the road, waiting to try in the dirt, but from what I have seen and heard they are as good as the BFG's.And cheaper 104.00 apiece.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

6. MG4x4

MG4x4 Newbie

How do you know that 4 wheel parts is having this sale? I want to get some of the 35" Pro Comps.

7. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

They send me Four Wheel and Adventures Magazine, which is basically one gaint ad that they send out to their "Valued Customers" ( I bought a $5 catalog). Anyway, there was an advertisement for it in there. There were other good deals too: 4 for the price of 3 589 wheels (15x10 and 15x8 only), free installation with a rancho suspension kit purchase, and they had rancho shock deal too. Their was more, but nothing that interested me.

Brian

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Bias-plys aren't that bad on the road just need time to warm up on chilly morns.I have swampers and love them.Brady

9. MG4x4

MG4x4 Newbie

Are they offering the sale for Pro Comp 35" on 16" rims?

10. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

hey hey! I was looking at buying some 589's too... SOunds like I may be lucky.

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I don't think BFG's Radial Side walls are that weak. I have 35" BFG's AT's and one day I was driving home from work and this jerk cut me off totally b/c the dude in front of him slowed down to make a left turn. Anyways, I had to turn into the curb going about 40mph, and my right front tire rode on the curb for a couple seconds and back down. I pulled over at a gas station and saw a long (but not deep) gash on that tire. PISSED ME OFF, but didn't blow my tire. Thats' a good thing I guess. Anyways, BUT THEY SUCK in the MUD. Let me tell you that. You'll be slipping and sliding everywhere, and getting stuck for that matter. My next boots will be swampers for sure though.
    Boss

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I was wondering about the blazer of the month, a little too low.

YEEE HAWWW[​IMG]

13. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Yup, thats what I am saying, load and clear bias ply all the way.
    The bias ply technology has made some advances in the last 20 years.
    You asked about sidewall strech, if you need that in a daily driver, you need to stop hitting things in the side wall
    on your trip to the milk store.(LOL)
    Good luck

14. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

I'll be away for the weekend so I won't be able to check responses until Monday but does anyone know where I can get Goodyear Wrangler MT's. My last four sets have been these and now it appears they changed them and I don't like the new ones. I hate when they change a good thing. They seemed a little more aggressive than the BFG MT's and now its either I go less radical like the BFG MT's or go more radical than I wanted. The Goodyear MT's were perfect for me. Any opinions on a good off road tire comparable to the Wrangler MT's? I have 35 12.50 15's and need new tires right now. BTW I don't mean to offend anyone by saying anything about the other manufacturers, its all just my opinion. I'm very disappointed in Goodyear and sent them a email asking about the change

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

15. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

After owning a set of bias-plys, I will never own a set of again. Between the flat spots, poor handling, noise, and rough ride, I ended up selling them with less than 3000 miles on them. I'll stick with the Swamper Radials. I've never damaged the sidewalls ands it's usually rare to hear about it. Since I drive on the street half of the time, the radials make more sense to me. Just my .02

Shawn
    87 K5

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've checked on the ProComp's. It seems that Four Wheel Parts is about the only place you can buy them right now. What do you do if you have a problem with a tire? Ship it back? BFG's are available darn near anywhere and Discount Tire will sell you a warranty that will replace the tire, no matter how many miles it has on it or how it got damaged. I took back a 2-week-old BFG AT that had a rock gouge in the sidewall. It still held air, but didn't look good. Discount Tire replaced it on the spot, no questions asked.

I like the look of the Pro Comps and the price seems right. They also have a 35-incher for 16-inch wheels, which BFG doesn't offer. You just have to decide if you want to put up with any hassle if you need to use a warranty.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <font color=blue>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</font color=blue>

17. lew

lew Registered Member

I may be wrong but i believe the Pro Comps have sips in all the lugs.

I can not recall if the BFG's have this. If not the wet road manners of the Pro Comps should be pretty nice.

18. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

MG 4x4 as far as I know, all Procomp AT and MT will have the 4 for the price of 3 June 19-24. Sorry but I don't buy the bias ply decent street manners thing. Maybe swamper radials...oh yeah, someone said something about a warrenty, this isn't a problem for me, I live 15 minutes from 4 wheel parts. (National Spring is about 10 minutes...If only I had money)

Brian

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Unless you are in to really hard core rock crawling, I don't think you will have to worry much about sidewall damage. Yes the BFG's have 3 ply sidewalls and are one of the few radials I have seen that have 3 plies (most have only 2 plies), with the new Goodyear MT/R's as another exception in having 3 plies.
    Concerning the older style Goodyear MT's, one Goodyear dealer told me they were going to keep making them, but I wouldn't put to must trust in that statement. I would think that there would still be some 35" MT's sitting around at dealers, at least the one in the town I live had a set as of a couple of months ago. Anyway, I also own the new Goodyears MT/R's and really like them so far.