Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Procomp vs. Skyjacker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Jun 10, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I went to offroad parts and four wheel parts wholeslaers today. From offroad parts, Skyjacker 4" lift(springs front/blocks rear), 15x10 american racing baja wheels, 33x12.5 mud tires, skyjacker shocks (6), and installation was $2,153. From 4 wheel parts it was a Procomp 4" lift, 33x12.5 procomp mud tires, procomp shocks (6), 15x10 589 wheels, and installation was $1,929.50. The skyjacker kit would take 2 weeks to get, because they don't have it in stock, while the procomp lift would take two days (they have it at another location). Which should I get? Is it worth waiting the 2 weeks? Thanks.

Brian

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I could really use some help choosing here. Please respond.

Brian

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Can't vouch for any of it yet but from what I've seen in previous posts, the Skyjacker will probably ride a little better but after sales service might be an issue. On the wheel issue, the American Eagle 589's are superior in my mind. There's almost no cast wheel around with their load capacity either. Best advice is to do a search on this board. There's been conversations on all you mention.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I did do a search on this, and while I saw people say some good things about skyjacker, there was nothing said about procomp. I am leaning towards the skyjacker kit.

Brian

5. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If you have already made up your mind that your picking one of these two I would wait 2 weeks. What would $200 extra for 2 days?

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I am not concerned about about waiting 2 weeks, I just want to know which is a better kit. Looks like it is going to be skyjacker.

Brian

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't know anyone running the Procomp lift so I cant comment on that. My friend has the new Procomp tires on his stright axel Z-71 conversion and he realy likes them alot, there 35x12.50's though I doubt that it matters much. I am extreemly pleased with my 4" Skyjacker lift. I used new springs all the way around. If your stock springs are worn out I would suggest you do the same. If you are set on using blocks to keep the spring flat, then think about getting new stock hight or 2" lift springs. Also, make sure you use cast iron blocks, save the aluminum ones for the low-riders. Last note, no matter who does the work, go back and retighten everything in a couple of weeks. If you need more answers write back. Jim

BigJBear '80 GMC

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Why are you set on these 2 brands. Have you considered others like Tuff Country or BDS? I had a Skyjacker 6" and it rode rougher compared to BDS springs. I didn't care for Skyjackers support when I had some questions either. Offroad Design sells the Tuff Country. I'm not a big fan of Pro Comp.

Shawn
    87 K5

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Also whats the warrenty??
    How about SuperLift or Rancho?
    I would investigate ALL the lift makers out there!
    Rear Blocks? I would NOT get rear blocks, they are ok I guess it depends on the type of wheelin your gonna do but I would get new spring packs on all 4 corners!!
    You could allways go custome with a set of National springs they are a bit pricy but TOP of the line!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

10. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I was set on these two brands because they are available locally. I don't want tough country because I have heard they sag. National Spring? Yeah they may be great but I cant afford it. By the way, I'm only keeping the blocks until I can afford the shackle flip and to reroute the exhaust. I am looking into the BDS springs right now. How much would shipping be? One more thing, which would be better a 4" shackle flip or a 2.5" shackle flip and 2" springs? Thanks

Brian

11. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

All springs sag over time. My old Skyjackers did. You can call BDS to see where they sell them in your area. Have you priced Alcan? IMHO- a 4" shackle flip is better than 2" springs with 2.5" flip.

12. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well as far as personal experience goes Pro Comp are stiff as hell, even after flexing the hell out of them, the are still stiff. Someone said that Tuff Country springs sag and or break. Well I have had mine for over 2 years and I dont think there is a person on this board who flexes their springs more than I do, and on a regular basis. Still no sagging and I have not broken one yet. Not to mention Tuff Country does have a life time warranty. Mine flex great and work awsome offroad. Ask anybody that has wheeled with me.

Alcan may be the best bang for the buck out there. National are way over rated.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

13. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I think I'll check out those tough country and alcan springs... too many choices.

Brian

14. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Procomp hired a new engineer about a year ago and redesigned all of there springs. I have used the rancho and procomp and I like the procomp better of the two. Most companys have there springs made in Indonesia, or by the McCoy brothers to save money. If you haven't bought your kit yet, take a look at Macromotive.com, they are offering free ground ups shipping inside the US.

15. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I got this response from Lavander Brothers:
    Hi Brian,
    Thanks for inquiring about BDS Suspension. The 4" BDS lift with rear blocks is $367.18 and with 4" rear springs is $669.62 plus the cost of shocks. Rancho RS9000's are recommended at $69.00 each or RS5000's at $59.00 each.
    There are no lift manufacturers that I am aware of that make 2" lifted rear springs for this vehicle which means they would have to be custom built for approx. $350.00 each. However, we can send you either 2" rear add-a-leafs or 2" rear blocks if you want it to sit higher in the front. Please let us know if we can further help you.
    Thanks, Toby

Does that price sound good? Looks kinda high to me.

Brian

16. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

My local shop guy says that ProComp is Rancho with another name on it. Same exact stuff. For whatever that is worth.

17. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

anyone have any experiance with Alcan? i recieved a quote for a 4" lift. i filled out this form on their site and they responded in a day.
    $165 for each front spring.
    $200 for each rear spring.
    its kind of high, but they are made for the application i sent on the form. this is why i am asking if they are worth it.
    thanx.

Knife.

18. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't consider that a very good price on the BDS springs. I got a quote from Henrik at YJ Enterprises in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (http://www.yjenterprises.com)or phone 613-747-8557 for 6" BDS front and rear springs and it was only $735 Canadian which would be $497.74 US. The only thing that didn't include was the U-bolts because I will be getting my own when I swap in a Dana 60/14-bolt.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

19. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Thats a good price for custom springs, call national and your jaw would drop. Have you ever seen Stephen Watsons K-5 at OffRoad Desings? His is riding on Alcan springs, they are getting a hell of a good reputation. Also the ones that All Offroad use in all their Toyota conversion are made by Alcan, he swears by them, and they do ALLOT of work.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would not try to get the cheapest or best deal when it comes to spring packs!! Of course I wouldn't overspend eathier.
    I guess what i'm tring to say is save your money and get what will WORK BEST for your rig and style of offraoding!
    Trust me when I say if you go for the bargain lift and you wheel allot your gonna end up spending more money down the road to "upgrade" to what you should have saved your money for in the first place.
    Just my .02, I hate buying things twice!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com