Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Procomp X-terrain ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Sep 4, 2003.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Procomp X-terrain ?\'s

I am about ready to get rid of my swampers in favor of a more road friendly yet aggressive tire. Since I will be running 5:13 gears very soon, I need to run at least a 37" tire to keep my rpm's in the right range for towing/freeway driving. So, in my research for a radial 37" tire for a 15" wheel, I came across the Procomp X-terrain and the Parnelli-Jones Dirt Grip tires. They both make a 37x12.50x15 tire that is not too bad on price. I know several on this board are running the Procomps. How are they for wear and road noise? Right now I can't hear squat with the swampers once I am over 20 mph.

I am looking for opinions and ideas please! Which are better, the PC's or the PJ's? For tire noise? For tread wear? Thanks guys! And Gals!

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Procomp X-terrain ?\'s

PM Frank he runs pro comps... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Me and my girlfriend have conversations while driving in my truck despite the Swampers. You get used to it after a while.

What kind of Fourwheeling do you do? I run mud so I don't care for a directional tire like the X terrains, but if you run rocks I'm sure you wouldn't care.

I wouldn't be towing ANYTHING with a truck with 37" tires on it, so I don't know what you're thinking, but you need to re-evaluate your reasons for living before deciding on whether you'll tow with a truck that big or not.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Most of the wheeling I do is on what I would consider "medium" technical trails. My truck is in good shape body wise so I don't really do much that will cause any body damage. I get into the mud every once in awhile, but I don't go bogging.

The main reasons for the tires are;
    1. I can't afford 2 sets of tires/wheels on a frequent basis. I need to save my swampers for off road use only.
    2. The road noise is really getting on my nerves. I LOVE my swampers off road, but they aren't for daily driving. Funny how they are real quiet in the dirt /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    3. Mileage on the swampers. They are expensive and I don't want to have to replace them because I wore them out on the street.

AFA towing, I have a 19' travel trailer with a stabilizer hitch that I tow. The hitch reduces the sway significantly. I have towed a few other trailers with my truck, and I don't drive like a bat outta hell when I do. However, my research is leading me down a path and I am not sure what I am going to do. I may not run the 5:13's and settle on 4:11's or 4:56's and run 35's on a daily basis. I just want something a little more quiet for street use.

The big plan is get a 3/4 ton burb and use it as a tow rig (probably won't even lift it). But for now, I need to make my blazer work. I see guys towing with rigs bigger than mine all the time. I only run 7" of lift and I run with the sway bar on the street. I have not had any issues yet, but I also go slow and drive like a sane person when towing. When I take extended trips with my trailer, I borrow my brother-in-laws's suburban. I only use my blazer when the trips are short and on slow going roads.

5. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I run 38.5 x 15.5 x 16 PJ Dirt Grips on my truck. They are a good alternative for noise...but not even close to your swampers on performance. Ive had both. If you dont wheel much, or hard, go PJ. Personally, Im going back to swampers.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If I can swing it, I'll get a set of 35's for daily driving and keep the swampers for off road. I may have to sell my swampers to get the 35's though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Me and my girlfriend have conversations while driving in my truck despite the Swampers. You get used to it after a while.
    I run mud so I don't care for a directional tire like the X terrains,

[/ QUOTE ]Uh, I'm not trying to pick a fight but aren't directional tires designed for mud. Like the bogger, baha claw, x-terrain, and ag tires are all directional for traction in soft terrain.

I agree on the noise thing, I carry a conversation very easily with my passengers on the HIGHWAY.. AND I can even talk on the phone too. Did I mention I have boggers? What swampers are you running that are so loud?

I tow some heavy loads with my K5( 9" lift, 35") but I have a lot of experience with trailers. I wouldn't be afraid of towing with 37's and 7" lift but I would drive CAREFULL.

85K5 3/4 ton,14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What swampers are you running that are so loud?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am running 38" TSL's. I have heard that the radials are much quieter, but I do not have any first hand knowledge.

Also, my interior consists of seats and seat belts. I will be lining the floor, laying the heat barrier over that, and then another layer of carpet insulation and new carpet. That should make a big difference. But with the full fiberglass top, it's one big echo chamber inside. I am going to make a head liner to try and combat the noise as well.

9. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

I have a set of the X-terrains and love them. They are only the 33" size, but they are great. Quite on the hwy. You can hear them from 0 to 13 mph and around 40 to 45 mph. Any other speeds, they are quite. They do great in rain, snow and in mud. I have over 50,000 on them and 3 of the 4 still look to have 45% to 50% tread left. One isn't that good, but it was on the front for about 12,000 with a bad tie-rod end. It got cupped badly before I was able to rotate and replace the tie-rod. Hope this helps you out a little.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Great tire so far, and if you time it right, you can get the 4WPW buy 3, get 4th free as I did. Iwould get these again, at this point very happy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. La Barge

La Barge Registered Member

i didn't think procomp offered the 37's in a 15 just 16. i run 37-1250-15 ssr's great tire. a little noisy, but not bad.i also ran x-terrains good tire too. pj's are good but very heavy. i believe the ssr's are about 100.00 less a tire then x-terrains.

12. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I run a ProComp X-Terrain 35"x12.50 as a street tire...as a street tire I like it, as a wheeling tire it is so-so..that is why I have a set of 37x12.50 MTRs for the trail now...

Chris

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[quoteUh, I'm not trying to pick a fight but aren't directional tires designed for mud. Like the bogger, baha claw, x-terrain, and ag tires are all directional for traction in soft terrain.

I agree on the noise thing, I carry a conversation very easily with my passengers on the HIGHWAY.. AND I can even talk on the phone too. Did I mention I have boggers? What swampers are you running that are so loud?

[/ QUOTE ]

Baja Claws were not designed for mud although they work ok for it. I personally would not run that trash on my truck though, I can't stand them. Fine if you want to run them but that's your business.

Yes the Bogger is directional (although not near as directional as some) but it's made for a BOGGING truck, and in my opinion the TSL makes a better trail tire. For mud bogging, nothing beats the Bogger or even comes close.

Even Ground Hawgs are directional. I suppose I can't say I hate all directional tires, but I hate tires that look like they'd be useless in reverse, and X-Terrains and Baja Claws look that way to me. Your business if you want to run them, they probably work great in certain situations but they'd suck the big on on the trail where I go.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I may not run the 5:13's and settle on 4:11's or 4:56's and run 35's on a daily basis. I just want something a little more quiet for street use.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit the nail right on the head. Exactly what my plans are as well.

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

I run mud so I don't care for a directional tire like the X terrains

[/ QUOTE ] I was pointing out that what you said is an oxymoron, kind of like if I said something like" I like really fast cool cars, thats why I drive a geo metro" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Directional tires are the best for mud! Oh and I liked that " boggers are made for BOGGING trucks" comment, trying to hent something to me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

85K5 3/4 ton,14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No no not at all.

They simply were designed for a mud bogger, that's what they were originally designed for. No other DOT approved tire can even touch them for that. I am not a mud bogger, I run trails. My friend Randy has Boggers and he wants to go back to regular TSLs and I see why. I just prefer the way TSLs work to Boggers.

What you run on your truck is your choice. Just because the Bogger is directional doesn't mean that every good mud tire is. Lots of tires are non-directional and still make outstanding mud tires.

17. rjfguitar

Oh definantly, The TSL is a perfect example, when it came out nothing could touch it! I am just pointing out that most tires that are designed for mainly mud are directional and usually work better. Oh, and I hate mickey tompsons too.

18. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, it looks like I'll run 4:56 gears with 35's on a daily basis, save my 38's for off road only, and get a TH400 for the OD on the freeway. Thay way I can still run both sets of tires with my current lift and my height will be a little lower when I tow my trailer. The 4:56 should work well with either tire so I think that is they way I'll end up going.

Hmmm....now for the decision on the 35's...still go with Procomps or...BFG AT's/KM's???? Decisions, decisions, decisions.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and get a TH400 for the OD

[/ QUOTE ]

Typo? TH400 is not OD, maybe you want (and who wouldn't) the king - 4L80E. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

20. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

DOH!! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif What was I typing?! Yes, that is what I meant. Maybe it won't matter anyway since I don't/won't tow in OD, and the only freeway time the rig sees is back and forth to work unless I am towing my trailer.

Sheesh! Maybe I should just find a /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif That might be hella easier!!