Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*PRODUCT INFO* Oil additive, I just lost my motor when I added it..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Mar 24, 2003.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

I do not use any additiives but decided to try a " life prolongiing " additive in the suburban yesterday. ( not the k5 ) and followed the directions, of course, /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and after adding it, I fired it up and let it mix for a minute then shut it off.
    Came out later to run to the store and when I fired it up, it ran great but poured thick oily smoke, I either lost my valve guide seals or my rings are now gone /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gifThe smoke was so thick it filled my entire street, traffic had to stop as I watched from the windows my wonderfull TBI 350 going tits /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It is called BD-2, the company is called Bardahl, it can be found at any parts store. Dont use it! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I never use anything that claims to clean an engine out. After a couple hundred thousand miles, all the gunk helps to seal the rings and stuff. Once you clean it all out, oil can go right by them. Id say you just cleaned out the rings to good.

3. uglychevyZZ4

wasnt a cleaner, i dont use them. first additive ive ever used and it was supposed to just be a "life prolonging " additive /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

It did great at prolonging it. That motor will sit for a long time now, or last along time after a rebuild /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sorry, couldnt resist, I hope that do something to compensate for it.

Dan

5. uglychevyZZ4

i'll know this week, im filing a claim /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif ill let ya know how goes, if thet are a stand up company or not... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

That sucks! I've used Bardahl no-smoke with great results and no problems. It sounds like that's their competitor for the CD2 stuff I see. I never use life prolonging stuff, I just switch to heavier oil.

7. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

sometimes if I fell the inside of the engine is dirty, I'll run a pint of atf in my oil for about 20 miles or so before an oil change, atf has lots of cleaning agents and does a good job of getting rid of sludge inside the motor, if it ever gets that bad /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, you can even run a pint in with a full tank of gas to help clean your valves, if I have a motor with a lot of miles I'll step up to a thicker oil ie. 20w50, I have used a smokebgone product called "Rislone" works well. I used to have a 86 2wd truck, when I first got it I went on a trip half way to palm springs I started getting smoke real bad out of the tail pipe, got worst as we got further, I started to think blown head gasket, with steamy looking smoke, on the way home when I let off the gas on the freeway you couldn't see a car behind you, ended up making it home. I went to my buddys house, his dad is a real good mechanic, he crawls under the truck, comes out and tells me to drive around the block and shift manually, no smoke, when I get back he tells me my modulater was bad, the fawkin 10 dollar part was leaking atf into the vac line into the intake, all that 55mph crap with no ac for nothing. He told me not to worry that if anything it cleaned out the motor real well, also told me he's bought a few cars like that, real cheap, because people thought they had a blown motor. never heard of that happening to anyone else though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I used the RESTORE in my dodge 318 and its really works! Works so well I blew both head gaskets /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Remember the Slick 50? That stuff took out the motor in my old Nissan. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I used that CD2 stuff in my 86 S-10. Truck never had a hiccup, but the next day my timing chain went out. Coincidence?

11. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll run a pint of atf in my oil for about 20 miles or so before an oil change, atf has lots of cleaning agents and does a good job of getting rid of sludge inside the motor

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've heard of that before. Appearently it works really well, just don't leave it in too long or it'll destroy gaskets. One of my brother's friends told me about how he used to go buy old rotary-engine cars that people thought they'd blown the motor. He'd run ATF in it for a while and the engine would run like new. He'd turn around and sell it for a tidy little profit.

But as for additives, I stay away. Better to just change the oil, in my opinion. Or if it's really that bad it's time for a rebuild. Rebuilding engines sucks, but it's easily worth it in the long run.