Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Production built tube chassis

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bullet, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Been thumbing through the latest issue of Peterson's and looking at the article on pre-built buggy chassis. What do you guys think of them? If I had the money I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat. Especially the ones from Poison Spyder Customs; they're Bruiser chassis are simply badass.

Any thoughts?

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

the poison spyder is cool, if I had a choice (assuming I had the money) I would go with a Grady's Extreme! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if I had the money I probably still wouldn't get one. Tehy are nice and lots of work so price is understandable but I'd buy my own tools and supplies and build one. more pride in my own work. Nice though.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Uh, you couldn't buy a good bender, welder, notcher, etc for the cost of a tube chassis... And I mean chassis not complete turn key buggy...

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but I don't know anything about bending tube and I wouldn't trust my welds.../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. willyswanter

Read my post, I said it's cheaper to buy a chassis then buying all the tools to build one. You would be better off buying a production chassis.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah but for me it would be better to buy the tools, i have a couple welders, I just need a bender and notcher. I know I would get lots of use out of them. Plasma cutter would be a good thing as well. My dad builds dirt track race cars and I have the K5 so bending, welding, cutting happens often.

8. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Uh, you couldn't buy a good bender, welder, notcher, etc for the cost of a tube chassis... And I mean chassis not complete turn key buggy...

[/ QUOTE ]

true...
    tube bender cheapie $150
    notcher cheapie $50
    Welder good/OK $500
    Materials $500-600
    trial and error add 15%

prefabbed buggy what $1200-2000?

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wow, and those prices are WAY optimistic IMO! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

For what it's worth, you can check out Hendrix Motorsports new products. They make a buggy body to go on a Toy frame (but could be adapted to others) for way less than a grand. Seems like it was $900 or so out of DOM and fully welded!!! He also has a full on buggy that requires no chassis for more if your inclined. I don't care much for the guys attitude on PBB (I think he is an arrogant sell righteous azz at times), but that is a kick but deal and he knows his stuff...

10. willyswanter

Bender for $150? Pipe benders are for pipe!

And yeah there are numerous production chassis for 1200-2000.

11. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Bender for $150? Pipe benders are for pipe!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm looking at northern tool, confusing the 3" dies with able to bend 3" pipe /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

13. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but...

The expertise and know-how to make a well-built, safe, and functional chassis is priceless, and this is not the sort of project that a shadetree mechanic would be able to tackle correctly without a great amount of help from a professional fabricator. Also, figure double for the cost of the tools on your list if you purchase ones that are worth a damn...

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

15. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

But with that bender you can only bend to 90*...

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I thought of that while at work. I may start tubing parts of the k5 in the not too distant future and realized that I couldn't do like prerunner bumper loops up over the hood since it only gots to 90.

17. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but...

The expertise and know-how to make a well-built, safe, and functional chassis is priceless, and this is not the sort of project that a shadetree mechanic would be able to tackle correctly without a great amount of help from a professional fabricator. Also, figure double for the cost of the tools on your list if you purchase ones that are worth a damn...

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought exactly! Thats why I like the greddy setup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, but dont take away the value of being able to say "I made it" when peeps ask you about the chassis. If the costs were exactly the same... I'd take a jek-built anyday. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif yes, it helps to be a good fab guy.. but with a little loss in materials and a LOT of welding practice there is no reason why you cant do it yourself with enough patients and effort. those 4x4 shops that make these things did it at one point (when they made their first one!). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

19. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would check if you want a profesionaly engineered chassis I have some freinds who built one buggy out of pipe and tractor end links and the such He built it in my garage and now he has built 5 or more sometimes an expert is just a guy who got lucky the first time. The Factory Tubular buggy is my baby if I had the money /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I like this one.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]
    Marv