Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Professionalism and what it means to me

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by NateInChandler, Feb 25, 2007.

1. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

:mad:hey guys, ive been having a big problem lately with the professionalism of my side jobs.. Why is it that everyone expects something for free?? im dissapointed that something that took me years to learn and lots of time and money, someone thinks they are gonna get it for dirt cheap... Ive had 4 people now (not on this board) want me to do trannies for dirt freakin cheap... I can not degrade myself to the point where i dont make money to pay for parts, and hafta use junk **** parts in them.. Ive learned a few hard taught lessons in the last few monthes

1. Dont let people skimp you out of something you worked HARD for
    2. Dont use peoples money (that your doing a side job for) until youve finished the job, this has happened to me, and im regretting it and having to work extra hard to make up for the little bit of money that i used on a bill (my fault completely, never will happen again, and i am sorry to the person that i have done this to, as you know who you are., ill make it up to you buddy:o, hope this doesnt change our friendship.)
    3. Do not give a warrenty without pressure specs and installing the convertor for yourself.. i have a extremely mad customer right now cause HE didnt fully install the convertor and wiped out his brand new tranny i built... wiped the pump completly out and sent metal everywhere, im not honoring his trans cause he installed the thing and didnt call me with pressure specs as soon as he got fluid in it, even though i loaned him my $600 set of pressure guages from snap on to do it.

Im extremely upset right now. Ive worked hard and long for my knowledge and people just wanna take it for free.. Lets take a hughes th-350 for example.. i build the same thing (close) for just under $900, they get close to $1800 for their GOOD one and thats without a convertor (i include one up to a 2,500 stall 12 inch) I just dont know if i wanna use my knowledge on anything more than "friends" transmissions anymore... these people are not even offroading people.. one of them told me he could go to gordys trans and get a rebuilt 400 for $299.99, GO get it is what i told him... lets see how long it lasts (if it even works).. i guess what im getting down to is im sick off all the sheisters out there putting a bad name out for auto techs and mechanics.... Rant over now.. nate

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

THE main reason i quit working on other peoples vehicles, except for friends of course. :crazy:

3. blazenwhip

blazenwhip 1/2 ton status

I'm feelin' you Nate. I've only met you a few time, but I know that your a good man. I think most people see that and there are some that try to exploit that quality.

4. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

As long as you know you're always doing the right thing and don't compromise your principles, don't worry about what someone says or thinks about your work. Your work will always speak for itself if you do a good job. You have to remember that customers are almost always only looking out for their wallet, and have no idea of what it takes (tools, parts, knowledge, time, etc...) to do your job. Do the work for the amount of money you need to charge to do it right and make the wage you think you should earn from that job. Can I find someone to do any job cheaper? Of course, but if I want it done right, I don't always choose the lowest bidder.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

You REALLY don't know him then if you think he's a good man :crazy: :rolleyes:

he's actually awsome :D :laugh: :haha:

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Some of the stuff here, is kind of why i offered you what i did when i asked you what it would cost to rebuild my th400, i know what it takes to do a job right, and i don't have a problem with paying especially a friend to get it done right....

now,,,,about that th700r4? :wink1: tow rig capable?? :p: :D

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Nate=Jerk

No wait.

Nate=Wienie

No, that's not it either.

Nate=Good guy!

Yep that's it!

8. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

thanks fellas, ya'al make me feel better... anyways.. im done with side jobs, ive figured out that i will be doing NO more side jobs unless its premium money involved, im just fed up with the low ballers and stuff...So unless its a friend or a offroading vehicle, than im not working on it (will still work on ck5 guys stuff ), i just figure that if pheonix remaned can get $1250 for their 700's, i should get $1350 since they dont put the good parts in their trannies... hehe.. nate

9. blazenwhip

blazenwhip 1/2 ton status

Nate....are you, umm.... bi-polar?:wink1: :haha: Keep on keeping on bro!