Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Proform distributors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TED, Jan 15, 2003.

1. TED

TED Registered Member

I'm thinking about buying a Proform HEI since Im having some problems with my stock HEI. Anyone have experience with these? Good product or bad product?

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

not familiar with Proform, but a word of advice..stay away from Mallory. MSD is the way to go.

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have used MSD inThe past with the 6AL module
    very good setup well worth the money on the bonus
    side the 6AL has a rev limiter you can set it up any where
    from 2,000 to 10,000 rpm.
    Hope this help
    Bo
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have been running one for about 5 years and it works great. If it does not come with a coil buy a good aftermarket coil like a MSD. I also had the distributor recurved, to match the other mods I had done with my truck. Most good speed shops can tell you someone who has a machine to recurve the dist. Hope this helps

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've had 3 of them, one on my truck now, and 2 on 68 Camaros. Great bang for the buck and zero failures. Do need to be sealed with silicone before water crossing though!

6. TED

TED Registered Member

Do they have problems with the ignition module burning out? The one on my stock HEI has burned out twice now. Do they accept a stock HEI coil? I have a new one in my HEI that I could swap over if they do.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I haven't had a module brun out on me yet on the Proform, but I'm in some pretty consistent weather in SoCal so that may play a role in their longevity. They are compatible with stock HEI parts but most come with a step up coil already (at least all mine did). I bought 2 of mine from Summit and one locally. I added an adjustable advance kit to mine for the truck because the curve was so steep.

8. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Hey TED,
    Did you put some of that white dielectric grease on the bottom of the module? They need it to help trasfer the heat to the distributor base.

9. TED

TED Registered Member

Great, what kind of advance kit did you use? I bought a Mr Gasket kit from the local parts store but it was crappy. The bushings were way to loose on the pins. Anyway, Proform sounds pretty good, Ill have to give Summit a call. Thanks for your help.

10. TED

TED Registered Member

Yeah, I put lots of dielectric grease on the bottom. Both that burned out were used though so it wasn't too surprising that they burned out. The new one I bought has been working fine for a few months now.