Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Programming blazers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grindkings, Jan 20, 2005.

1. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

Okay. Alot of the new vehicals have the little handheld computurs you can plug into your dignostics port on your vehical. My 91' has this port. SO my question is. Is there a programmer i can buy to erass codes and do a little tuning? Such as for tires, gears...ect.

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

As far as i know there isn't. I have been lookin for awhile because i need to reflash my comp or get a chip burned and i haven't seen one yet. they're all for newer trucks. I think diablo might make one but im not sure. Full throttle performance told me diablo would make that kind of stuff. might want to check it out.

Search for diablo performance

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The PROM's in our generation vehicles aren't flashable like the newer stuff.

You've got to change a few things to screw with programming, and you can see all the stuff that is out there for OBD1 stuff (which is all GM until 1996) at moates.net

You can erase codes by removing the ECM fuse for 10 seconds. You can retrieve codes by jumpering terminals a and b on the connector with a paperclip. There is at least one ALDL pinout on the net, I think ours is a 10 pin connector, (rectangular, I know that much) and although there are other versions, all are foreign. Just need the pinout that matches the number of Pins our ALDL has.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

try tbichips not sure ofthe rest of the address he is nothing but tbi chips and performance of tbi systems.

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

The computers are reflashable but you have to have it done by a big shop... the little ones can't do it.

6. sweetk30

i work in a auto shop and the obd1 is not reflashable . its like a trs-80 computer compared to the obd2 . obd2 is like a pentium system in speed and info. thay are currently working on a new system that will be so fast it will need a computer to read and interact with it , or a newer scanner.

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

All i can tell you is my efi shop tells me they will be able to reflash my computer in about a month... they have to order somehtin they say at SEMA in las vegas

8. sweetk30

all those problems you been having and your using a shop that dosnt even have the right stuff to do the job. nowonder it wont run corectly. just my .02cents.

9. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Not in it's stock form, BUT you can replace the stock chip with a wonderful gadget called the prominator (http://misterbill.homeip.net/aboutprominator.asp). It is a flash based replacement for the 'ol pull, erase, reburn, and replace method of chip burning with the TBI setup. You will need a couple of other things too. First of course is a computer (perferabably a laptop but a normal one will work just fine). Next you will need WinALDL and a connecting cable(http://winaldl.joby.se/), it's a freebie and is needed to see what your engine and associated sensors are doing. Then of course you will need a software package to make the changes with. You have a choice of at least two that I use Tuner Pro (http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/) or Tuner cat (http://www.tunercat.com/). And before you start go over to thirdgen (www.thirdgen.org) and start reading (especally the DIY PROM board) along with some searches and you will be ready to start burning your own chips.

For less than what a Hyperchip costs (about $400 for the Hyperchip), you will have the ability to burn your own chips anytime you want or need. Yea it's a tiedous process and you'll make some mistakes (make sure you back up your bins before changing them), but once you get the hang of it, you can make the changes YOU want without having somebody charge you an arm and a leg to burn what they think you should have. If you have any questions, just ask.

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hey wingnutt what did you use for your laptop cable?

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

It ain't my fault i live in a town with 75,000 people. Wth am i supposed to do go to sac and get it reflashed? All i did was call em i haven't bought anything.

12. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

beater74,what cable do yoiu mean, the ALDL cable, or the prominator cable?

13. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

the cable that goes from the ecm to the laptop