Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PROGRESS!! 6/19/04! Dial up beware

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jun 19, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Woohoo. Well I was suppossed to go meet Yunit in Jersey to pickup a part but since I couldn't get him on the phone decided not to make the journey and chance it not working out. So I spent the day well actually just past like 2 hours, working on getting the 14 bolt under the k5. And now she is sitting in the driveway no longer on jackstands!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif First time in months I've seen 4 tires on the ground. Now I just need to get my buddy to mount my other 2 IROKs and then wheel her into the garage to finish up the details. Here are some pictures, also there will be one of my pinion angle, want to hear opinions on if I have too little of an angle on it. I didn't do it any scientific way, I put a board under the pinion when it was sitting in the garage and had the pinion pointing slightly downward then tacked the spring perches on level(using a level). I think it worked well. The perches are still just tacked, its far too windy today to weld outside, so I will wait a few days weld them a little bit then remove the axle again finish welding and paint her up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shackle angle could be better but there is no fuel, tube work, rear bumper, or spare in the back yet so it may get better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was the easiest axle install I've done. I was lowering one side after removing the jackstand, and the other jackstand kicked out and the springs fell down perfectly into both center pin holes /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif couldn't do that again if I tried. Well maybe since the U bolts helped guide.

Oh and I forgot, the rear suspension seems like it may be more like 6" of lift than the planned 4-5 so the front end may get a Zero rate yet.

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Looking good sled dog! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just got my 64's in the back and finally got my rig on 4 wheels instead of 4 jack stands. Oh what a feeling /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif BTW, why didn't you just add the longer springs while you had it apart? I noticed you moved both hangers and the front one is almost in the right spot (right under the body mount) Your pinion angle looks okay to me but I'm a hack so don't take my word for it. -Rob-

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nope front mount is in factory location. I just didn't feel like moving it, what can I say, lazy. But I'm making progress and still have the 63s so if I Decide to I can slap them on somtime.

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, I remember reading a post about a homegrown shackle flip and saw someone moved the mount. I thought it was you but I looked again and it was scoutillac. You still should have installed the 63's /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What kind of springs are those? I bet they're going to be SOFT!!

Did ya get my steering brace installed yet? Post up the pics. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

just 52s man. nope not installed the steering brace yet. Been working on the rear suspension and axle. Should have it installed if not tomorrow next few days depending on weather. Dad wants me to put the K5 in the garage to finish it up which is nice but it doens't run, steer, or stop so its hard to do /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I will once I get my drag link.

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Congrats! Looking real nice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You should be able to mount those IROKS by hand, with the tall sidewall they usually mount up easily with a couple pry bars.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Looking good sled dog. When are you going to mount the fuel cell? What size of IROKS are those again? I forgot /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah but my friend is loaning me the rims and he still has tires on the rims. He works at a garage so he just takes the IROKs, the rims and tires, demounts and mounts the IROKs for me in one shot. And they are 39.5s, and I must say they are starting to look too small /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your 52s only had 4 leaves? I swear mine have five.-

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

My 52's have 4 leaves+ overload...
    [​IMG]

There are 5 leaf versions though. Who knows what trucks got them though.

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

both my trucks have 5 plus the over load, i think blazer springs got 4 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

cool pics, time to get that thing moving. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My other blazer had 4+ overload as well. It had 5 + overload when I got it but I swear the one leaf was an add a leaf. Or maybe they were pickup springs, but I doubt it since it gave like 1.5-2" of lift. I'm debating getting off my lazy but and slapping the extra set of 52s under the front end.

14. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Let me know when that hanger shears off at the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Now I know why my rig has always been so tall in the rear. I think mine are 5+ overload for six total leaves.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

seeing as it hasn't moved yet and its getting a bracket built to the bottom of the frame before it goes 100 yards I'm not worried.

17. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    its getting a bracket built to the bottom of the frame

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was hoping to hear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif