Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Progress Pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pauly383, Feb 11, 2005.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My motivation is back , Dave came over and we got to the convetible top working on my other 83 :D

I had to brighten these , no lights yet in my garage . My floor gets fixed soon , have support steel for the mounts , them I will do a simple sheet floor as they won't be holding the seats :grin:

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Nice lookin work! Dave, I like your surgical skillz :D

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Glad to see you are working on it, looking good! Have you thought about using expanded metal over the back as the floor surface? Would be lighter and would be cool to be able to see the rocks below....to see what you are hanging up on....drawbacks would be loosing small stuff, dust and mud/water. I think it would be very cool to be able to see underneath, I'd use a solid floor under your feet though.....

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

awesome work man. wanna come cut my fenders!!! lol

cant wait to see what it looks like finished!!

5. pauly383

I'm gonna start by getting the front body mounts replaced one at a time with square tube , run it back to the mounts behind seats , across to drivers side , and front to the drivers front mount . Like a little frame , some extra bracing I am sure . I want to use something light but still strong for the floor . I am still open for suggestions . Can't weld until the tax check shows up and I pay my Lowes card , then its MIG time :grin: I do intend the floor to go to where the kickup is where the back seat would start , so I have all 4 body mount areas to attach the cage . I am leaning towards a pre fabbed 10 point or better , and use that as a basis , then add what I need out back like spare tire mounts etc . I am picking up a new tank next week that I am mounting right on the top framerails so it will be tucked up higher . Hopefully I will have it done before Moab . And if I can score a complete running engine or whole truck with all the emissions , I will even tag it until I am tow equipped :D

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Awesome dude! Try that with a '75. what a pain. You'll see what I mean tomorrow.

7. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

u come out to a.z. i would take care of the fenders for u.:grin:

-dave

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'll hack em saturday for em... sawzalls are fun :D

looks good man.. whats the drivetrain gonna be?

9. pauly383

The only thing set in stone is the axles , 10 bolt front ( need locker ) and 12 bolt rear ( have mini spool and locker , undecided ) . These are the 3.08 axles from my full bodied 83 . If I go doubler , they stay 3.08 axles for strength , if I don't go doubler they go 4.56 from Desert Rat in Mesa AZ .

I have a complete 4 speed setup with np208 , mech clutch . I am probably trading that for a complete th350 with np203 . That gives me the first half of the doubler and easy driving .

Engine , I am looking to get a cheap running car or truck , or engine with as much as I can find along with it . Don't care if I find a 305 or a 350 as long as it dosen't knock or tick as this truggies first engine is only temporary for a season or two .

Eventually my 355 will be done for the nice truck , and I will re-ring my good 305 from the nice truck that runs awesome , and put it in this truggy :D