Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project "8 ball" Street legal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quackaddict, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

Well after 5 months she is put together and street legal. Still seems like there is an endless list of small things to do but she is a driver now. Sanded down all the surface rust spots and got ambitious so insted of white with primer spots I painted it for $20 myself. Didn't want to go rattle can so I went another route...(shall remain nameless for flaming sake.)

Gay project name but when I got done my wife said it looked like an 8 ball with the black truck and white top (waiting on $$$ for soft top) so she got me an 8 ball shifter knob and key chain.

Also I am still painting the side moldings.

before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Looks good! Your un-named paint source did a pretty decent job from what I can tell.

3. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

damn yer truck looks pretty good! U roller the paint on? it looks good.

4. Quackaddict

ok so yes this is embarrassing. I had bought a gravity fed spray gun at a garage sale a while back and have been itching to use it. So spray paint would have cost me about $40 and I wanted to use my gun so I used rustoleum paint for metal and painted surfaces. I did some decent prep work. The pic is kinda far way so you can tell.

It covered very well and from what I can tell is very strong not goona chip or scratch very easy BUT there are several areas that didn't come out smoot and are kind of textured and some look real good. This was my first time ever with a spray gun in my hand and I was experementing with thinning the paint as well.

All in all for what it is I am very pleased, it was cheap, I did it my self and it should hold up well especially off road.

Flame away

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

It looks more like an old-school K-9 vehicle, back when cop cars were mostly B&W (instead of foppy colors like pastel blue and white).

6. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

looks good

so what are the specs, and what was done to get to the after?

7. Quackaddict

well the before truck was a completly stock 80 K5. The only thing the PO did was take out the stock 305 and put a rebuilt 350 with a cam upgrade (good decision) Then it has sat for the last 3 years. (suprisingly all I did was change fluids,plugs, wires, battery, alternator, belts and starter and it has run great.

I took out the 1/2 ton 12bolt and 10bolt with 3:08 gears and put in a 3/4 ton 14bolt SF with gov bomb and a 10blt both with 4:10's. Got a set H1 wheels and tires and took the rims off and put on black rockcrawlers. Then put on a 6" RC lift and zero rate. Did the brake lines and all new fluids. I also added an Edelbrock Air-Gap intake manifold. Then shot her black and painted the trim red.

Also added the ever important "8 ball" shift knob and skull T-case shift knob. I also have a set of Triple gauges to install to track all my temps better.

Needs:
    Extended driveshafts
    Fix speedometer
    Rear main seal for tranny.
    Tranny Cooler

Wants:
    Heavy front bumper with winch
    Boggers or IROKS
    stereo
    Cowl Hood
    better interior.

8. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

how did your drive shaft angles come out?

9. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Looks good.

10. Quackaddict

They are ok need to get the shaft lenthened. Back is pretty good front will do but could be a little better.

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

looks good