Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project Black Bear Update with Pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, May 27, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

A few people have asked me about how the rig was going. It has undergone a huge transformation since my Bear Birthday Bash trip. My last drive on the rig was the tranny overheating and me yanking it out. Rita was frustrated with the constant work on the rig, so she said “Fix it…all of it.” So I did.

The first step was the tranny. I took it back to the builder (with 2 months left on the warrenty). He cleaned it up, said it all looked good, but there could have been something lodged in it, so I put it back in and it stopped cooking itself at idle.

To keep the tranny cool while I was crawling, a call was placed to ORD to order the Doubler and 205 “Bulletproof” Kit, which consists of a 32 spline input and front output to convert the 10 spline units in each. The case was machined by a friend of a friend, and rebuilt by Scott (4X4HIGH) with me helping. I cleaned up the 203, installed the Doubler and installed all of the shifter linkages at night, in the rain, by myself, so that it could be ready to go to Sierra Off Road to have the gears installed (5.13’s of course!) and the Deee-troit in the front. No blown o-rings for me. A few small issues with the gears were quickly remedied. Next, the doors came off and I finished installing the interior I had ripped out. So finally a bit of sound deadening.

The week before the Memorial Weekend run the following happened: replace the steering box, 2 new drive lines, fix the pinion nut, install rock lights, new cross memeber for the Doubler, and make it all work.

The last fiasco was a 205 linkage problem. Along with the mods to the transmission tunnel never seem to end. I trimmed a lot out of it and the shifter boot still won’t fit! Maybe this weekend….

So I was off this past Saturday morning for Hollister Hills. The gears had about 400 miles or so on them, the Doubler had only been in 4lo a few times. But Rita and I were off to Hollister to see just how well it would all work.

[​IMG]

Above was the first test of the rig. The front Deee-troit kept the passanger side tires climbing and traction never broke. I was in 4:1 and VERY light throttle was all it needed. Steering took effort (no hydro assist, ORD X-over with AGR Super Power Steering Pump that has always squealed) but was not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be, not on dirt and rock anyway. Rita was able to pilot the Black Bear though the mini-‘con, steering was OK for her, but she was still able to execute on the rocks. Hydro Assist is in my future, but more to allow Rita to drive with greater ease and take the stress off the frame than anything else. The 5.13’s along with the Doubler gives me a 102:1 crawl. I probably need more like 125:1, as the 350 at idle doesn’t have the power to climb BIG rocks without gas pedal input. It never took much, but I don’t want to even have to use the gas.

Along with the Springer Suspension, the tires kept the rig moving at all times.
    [​IMG]

Flex was great, all four tires rub the wheel wells.

[​IMG]

In this pic, I had to ram the bumper of mine (which is getting chopped ASAP) to get it so the tire was flush with the wall. The wall is nearly as tall as my tire (39.5” TSL) but the Deee-troit and the low crawl goes right up. No more heavy throttle like what was needed with the 350/203/4.10 set up.

[​IMG]

The Mini-Rubicon is getting easier, also.

Overall, it is a completely different truck. Having the low gearing and both ends locked will allow me to go places I have not been able to in the past. IMHO, the fact that I am not a throttle jockey and have the gearing so that I don’t have to be will ensure less breakage, but the body will continue to take hits as the rig will mechanically make it places that the body shouldn’t be. And that’s the right way to do it in my book.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Great work, man! It looks/performs bad-ass! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looks awesome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

SWEEEET /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well done!!

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks pretty slick...slick!/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yeah, my canadian twin needs to lose his doors /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Love it! Hard work (and $$$$$$$$$$$) paying off! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Right behind you...

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i had the pleasure of riding in it once at pismo to help him pull someone out (was it the dodge?) anyway love it and looks awesome

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Looking awesome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Ummmm, in the third pic, that rear shock shaft looks bent /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

not bent, put through the bed at an angle.

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I know you've got them going thru the bed at an angel, look at that pic and where the shock shaft goes down to the axle, right where its in front of the driveline, looks like its bent right there.

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Dude that thing is a burly beast! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you know what, you and Russ are not helping me here... posting up update pictures, rubbing it in on me... i need to get paid more.... thats all that keeps me hung up on my blazer.

keep up the good work man, looks great.
    Grant

15. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Looking Good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    you know what, you and Russ are not helping me here... posting up update pictures, rubbing it in on me... i need to get paid more.... thats all that keeps me hung up on my blazer.

keep up the good work man, looks great.
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly excuses...... Sell your soul like Zakk did!

He'll be the first one to tell you that his latest updates were done with IOU's, Credit Cards and pleading with the "wife person"..... When you want something badly enough you WILL find a way! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yeah, i actually only got $0.40 for my soul...it was in rougher shape than i had thought /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Alot of it was the contant breaking of something. Or the inability to do something else.

Can't turn 40" TSL's? Cross over stering.

Tranny melts cuz your bashing it on the rocks? Get a Doubler.

Tired of not having enuff flex? Get the Springer Suspension and sucker a friend of your to help put the shocks through the bed.

Wife mad cuz you buy too many truck parts? Buy her a rock rod for her birthday to let her know what's up /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

It's finally paying off, to be honest. a few more tweaks and it'll be good to go.

18. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    It's finally paying off, to be honest. a few more tweaks and it'll be good to go.

[/ QUOTE ] There never really quite good to go . theres always the "What if I tried this " going on with my rigs I think it's a sickness I need /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

19. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh now all you need is a tow rig and and a 18' goose nck trailer /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeh now all you need is a tow rig and and a 18' goose nck trailer /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

don't remind me. i saw a 91 CTD with a 5 sp in the paper a few weeks back for $5000. i was only $4850 short /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif