Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project Budget 60.. UPDATED OCT 7... MORE PICS..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, Jun 17, 2006.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Well I'm in the process of building up my 1-ton axles for my blazer, but since i'm going to school, i'm restricted to a budget. So i found a way to get progress done on my axles with out spending much money at all. When it is all said and done thou, i will have to dump some coin into the detroit locker for the 60, 4340 axle shafts, and 300 m u-joints.. but here is some progress pics of what i've been doing to keep me motivated to keep on going with the build and to see some change:
    Dana 60 housing when i first picked it up:
    [​IMG]
    Dana 60 housing after cleaning it with a wire wheel and sand blaster then coated with primer and satin black spray paint:
    [​IMG]
    I decided i didnt have the cash flow to buy new single wheel hubs, so i took in my hubs to my dads work and did a little work on the victor mill: (there will be a wheel mounting flange welded to these too)
    [​IMG]
    I also sand blasted a knuckle and a brake caliper bracket. I primered the caliper bracket, but ran out of primer to finish it and the knuckle:
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic of the other set compared to the clean set:
    [​IMG]

I think i have spent maybe 20 bucks in primer and paint and the mill work i did, along with the sand blasting. So far so good i guess..

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

very nice man

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

whered you get that diff cover? looks sweet!

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i think he got it from glo...

5. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Got any more info on coverting DRW to SRW? I need to do it and I have a machine shop...mine is a '75 fulltime 4wd Dodge axle though.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I wouldnt do it if its gonna be street driven. it is still pretty stout but why risk it. the flange is only welded not cast as one like with srw wheels.

7. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I will look into it more. I may come up with a way to do it mechanically, not just depending on the weld.

8. k5 krawler 50

Thanks to everyone for the props.
    muddybuddy: The cover is a GLO diamond plate cover.
    K10A'sBROinSLO: I have a lot of info on converting the DRW to SRW hubs. I will shoot you a pm. Also i read somewhere that the dodge hubs are a better choice to machine down because they dont have the welded flower tabs, and that they are built into the hub. I would have to look into it more thou.
    79k20350: the reason i went with the machined down hubs is because i dont have money for the srw hubs. I had the hook ups to a machine shop, so i was able to do the work my self and it didn't cost me a thing. My rig will not be street driven and if it is the speed limit in town is only 25... I plan on having a professional welder weld on a mounting flage, which will increase the strength of the hub its self. I have talked to lots of people who have machined hubs on their 60's that are running 38-44 tires and have not had any problems thus far.

Thanks again for the props

9. k5 krawler 50

Alright i got to come home for my bye week from football, and my grandpa and i installed 5.13 yukon gears, detroit locker, 35 spline inners and outers, and a nwf steering arm. This was my first gear install, and it was way fun. Can't wait to do the 14ff. Anyways here are some pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Dude... nice Rod in the garage there... I'd think you'd be all about finishing that thing before the blazer... that beauty could win some shows if it was done... Definitely need to chop the top and make Highboy doors though... =)

11. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

Nice work. How do you like the NWF arms? Did you happen to take a picture of what all came with the kit?

12. k5 krawler 50

The 55' pick up is my grandpa's project, and man it is going to be sweet when it is done, but it is taking a long time to finish. The NWF arm is awesome, it just came as the arm, i also ordered the studs from them when i ordered the arm but that was about it.

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

looks sweet!