Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project budget tow rig

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by az-k5, Oct 15, 2006.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Okay. Here is the news. I got a new (to me) truck.

What it is

1984 chevy K20 3/4 ton 4x4. 10b front, 14sf rear. Rebuilt 350 (RV cam, supposed roller rockers, Q-jet), SM465 NP208. Straight body, no rust. Power everything.

What it isn't
    Guy had it in front of his house for $1500. It can't run for crap when I go look at it. Misses, smells like gas, backfires if you hit the gas, tires are shot, seats is ripped no carpet and a bunch of "stuff to fix it up" sitting in the bed box.

I him and haw about it for a bit. Leary of the engine. He says it has a holley 4 barrel I see a q-jet and know he doesn't know what he has. I pay $1000 and drive it home (kicking and hopping, but it didn't stall). The P/O lives in the house behind mine BTW.

I get it home monday night and park it in the back yard (find out there is no front drive shaft and a broken axleshaft). Now the tinkering begins. I find the main vacume port in the intake open and sucking air. Check the vacume and 22 hg (thats good). I check the idle screws and they are at full rich. Back that down and now it will idle fine (little cold blooded in the morning). Take it for a spin can't get it above 10mph. Bring it back, more tinkering. Take apart the carb to get to the APT for cruise mixture (again at full rich). Back that off and get it up to 20 mph. Get a timing light on it (who knows how many degrees it was off) set it to 7° and now get it up to 30 mph (then the backfiring kicks in real bad along with the shakes).

Get up this morning ready to attack. Start tinkering with the engine (see post in garage). Decide to clean out the truck and find the seat belts. Lift seat up, find seat belts (check), look around, see black garbage bag, inside is the front driveshaft (check) and the rearview mirror (check).

So my plan is to make this thing into my wonder daily driver and anemic tow rig. Total budget is $1500. I have $1540 in it right now and will see if I can do it.

I don't need free parts, just want to see what my $1500 wonder truck will turn out to be.

I know it is a long read.
    There will be pick tomorrow.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

By the time its running right I will have some more front shafts . No freebie , trade you one for some light welding . I want to add a swing out tire carrier to our bumper . I have some steel :thumb:

3. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Sweet. I just picked up a 80 K20 myself, with a mildly built 350, SM465, 205, 4.10s and a Detroit in the FF. It's in perfect AZ shape with quite a few goodies- Edel q-jet and manifold, Hi-po HEI, headers and flowmaster duals, etc. I paid a bit more for it, but am planning on doing a similar build on mine, for DD/ trail/ towing, etc. I've just got to get used to this q-jet mileage, PO says around 10 or so no matter how you drive it. Gonna throw some 33's on it and see if it improves any. I sure do enjoy the simplicity of it all though. Drove it home today at 65 on Loop 101, man it drives good. The guy looked like he was gonna cry as I drove away. Mines a Custom Deluxe, but it has had AC added.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Here are some pics of it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The interior is shot

[​IMG]

I have some bigger BFG's and new wheels (the aluminum GM HD ones) at work that I need to put on (monster garage voice - freebie).

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Nice club!!!!!

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Current total
    Truck $1000
    carb gasket ~$20
    carb tool ~ $20
    new spark plugs ~ $16

Still needs
    seat cover
    floor mats
    wiper switch
    heater fan box
    wipers
    trailer plug

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ohhhh, I see how it is. :D

Looks good Matty. You definitly need to get a saddle blanket seat cover brother, and your "pump" probably belongs in the Pig Pen not on public forums. :haha: Also I am not totally sure the club is really warranted on this particular vehicle at this point in time.

On a serious note though it looks good. It looks like a hell of a score for you and I sure it will be a tad more comfortable of a DD then the big boy parked next it is.

Harley

8. pauly383

Toss a western blanket seatcover on it and call it good :waytogo:

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

That is next.

Got it fixed today. It was just a bunch of little things that made the motor run funny. The engine has over the top manifolds (camaro style I guess). Well those nice Accel 8.8mm the PO put in didn't have strait boots and 3 of them fried and arc'd. Go to put new wires in and notice #5 and #7 on the cap are switched (still from the PO). Fix that, new wires. Put carb down to facory settings. Like a top. Tune carb for AZ runs sweet. A little weak above cruise. Change fuel filter and done. I also found the brake vacum line (the steel one in the back of the carb) was bound. This kept it from sealing properly. Run pipe plug in, put new base gasket (from the gasket kit) and fix idle issue.

Current total
    Truck $1000
    carb gasket kit ~$20
    carb tool ~ $20
    new spark plugs ~ $16
    new plug wires ~ $56
    new fuel filter ~ $4

Still needs
    seat cover
    floor mats
    wiper switch
    heater fan box
    wipers
    trailer plug

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Got it runnning pretty awsome last week. Now the fuel pump crapped out. Probably cause of the Napalm in the RH tank. It is working out pretty good though. Just a bunch of little crap.

Figured out why it won't time right. It has the wrong timing tab. It has on on the LH side of the chain cover and the mark is on the RH side when it is running its best. I have pulled the dizzy and checked that. I just need to measure the balancer and put another line on it.

11. pauly383

Interesting . What diameter is on there now ? Could of lost a balancer somewhere along its way .

I had to borrow one from Daves old 74 for my trail project , but I took the tab off ( bolt on chrome one ) to go with it .

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

:angry1: :angry1: Well this truck is cursed!!

I had it running 7 day ago decent (heavy bog on acceleration). Tried to use the RH tank to see if the selector worked. Well it didn't and I didn't know that so I ran the LH tank dry and foolishly assumed it was a fuel pump. (just needed some dam gas). Oh well, cheap practice. Still runs like poo. Will not idle with the new pump. Checker special has too much pressure. Put old working one in. Still bogs like crazy. Take apart q-jet again. (Have I mentioned I know nothing about engines and/or carbs??). Dig around. Inspect the ports, jets, ect. Don't see much out of the ordinary. Then I notice upon reassembly that the primary metering rods won't land in the jets. That is funny. Oh goody, the "W" tab that holds them is bent to hell cause somebody just shoved the air horn on (pretty sure this was before me). Get that little deal fixed and adjust the float. Get it back together and wala. New truck.

To recap

Things that were wrong when I got it

Idle screws full rich
    APT screw full rich
    Secondary air valve spring broken
    Vacum leak at base
    Vacum leak at rear carb port
    Vacum leak at rear intake port
    #5 and #7 wire switched
    Five new ACCEL 8.8 wires burnt and arcing
    Platinum plugs fouled
    Primary metering rods not seated
    Clogged fuel filter

To say touble shooting was hard is an understatement. A bunch of little things to chase around. Well I don't know much about engines but I know mine isn't broken and will be getting me to parker.

Thanks to those that helped. It appears and guess of what was wrong would have been correct.

13. pauly383

OH BTW , without having seen them yet , the over the top manifolds , may be whats called "rams horns" . They were center dump , and used on Corvettes and of all things Chevy trucks until the end of 72 :thumb:

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

They exit like nomal. I think it might be for the air pump (CA truck)

15. pauly383

If thats the case , it should just be regular manifolds with a.i.r tubes then , like on my 83 .

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A 3/4 ton may not have the air injection tubes on it since they typically didn't have quite as much emissions stuff on them. It was a CA truck though so who knows. I don't remember what it had when I saw it last weekend.

Harley

17. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Just look at the troubleshooting as a learning experience, the only way to figure that stuff out is hands on. Lots of people (including the PO of your new truck, from the sounds of it) get overwhelmed and give up, instead of working through the BS and learning.
    About the manifolds, my 80 has A.I.R., and the manifolds that were on it look like normal truck manifolds with holes for the smog stuff, rear exit.

18. pauly383

I think he meant over the top as the a.i.r tubes going over top . Which makes them like yours and mine . At first I thought he meant the manifold itself .

19. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

No, the air horns are over the top like normal but the actual main tube of the manifold is above the bolts and plugs too.

20. pauly383

Yeah , mine are exactly like that too . So either way :D

I do have stock ones that look like the other style without a.i.r , like the truck ones after 72 , and like Tj's 89 ones . Don't know what to do with them , came in my Chevelle . I got hookers for that already .