Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project "Burly 'Burb" continues...Update11/1/03

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by blk87K5, Oct 18, 2002.

1. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Project \"Burly \'Burb\" has begun....

I liked it with the running boards. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif They were definately /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

looks cool so far!!

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

HELL YES!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif I've been waiting for something like this for awhile. U da man steve. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

stephen, you're my hero... does this mean that ORD will be making a few suburban-specific parts in the furute? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Maybe you should just save the time and tube it all out now! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Now for a little disclaimer: This truck is by no means "burly" by my definition, but my wife thinks it's pretty burly for a mommy car, so we stuck with the name for the project.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Looks good! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

This thing has to stay nice to drive down the road. I don't have the buggy urge as bad any more. But something long with full seating for 4 might be nice.....
    The next ripper will probably be a full tube chassis and may be more of a go-fast. We'll see.

8. Stephen

We took the 'Burb to Moab for a few days of wheeling over turkey day weekend. Of course before that we did a 3/4T swap and went to 4.56 axle gears and some 35's. Basically with the 33's and 3.73 gears the overdrive in the TH700 was a downhill only gear so 4.56's got the RPM range up to where it's a happier in OD. We went 8 lug since we had a 4.56 14 bolt FF in the yard that conveniently already had a detroit in it. The front was just a re-gear job and then we converted it to 8 lug.
    Overall the truck worked great on the trail. Departure angle is terrible and the hitch took a real beating but it worked out OK. We ran Hell's Revenge, Golden Spike and Fins N Things without any problems. It even worked the Double Whammy!
    I'll be posting some pics and a better writeup on the ORD page this week, this is just a sneak preview.

9. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Departure angle is terrible and the hitch took a real beating

[/ QUOTE ]
    Welcome to the wonderful world of wheeling suburbans! I've bashed my receiver hitch so much that the pintle hook is a tight fit!

Sounds great, and I'm looking forward to more details.

10. Stephen

If this was going to be more of a trail rig it would definitely end up one of the few early model tahoes in existance. I think a K5 tank moved right behind the axle would make it about right. That and a lot of lift to keep the belly from dragging.

11. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

With a good spotter, and I mean a real good spotter, suburban wheeling is a bunch of fun. Pack everything, everyone, and their ice chests. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif Hey, it's not like there's a shortage of space!

Here's an example. I built a removable rack that holds my recovery equipment, spare tire, spare axle shafts, Hi-Lift, shovel, axe, spare parts box....that's about it.

Go to my picture trail site and look under My Suburban to have a look.

12. Stephen

The amount of interior space always amazes me. Even if we carry a lot of stuff it's a level load about a foot tall, that's all. I hate cleaning it out all the time since you can accumulate a lot of stuff but it's quite a luxory when you're used to camping from a horse or backpack. Or even from a K5.

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Damn..shoulda called me...Bob Hall aka Zilla and my other buddy were in town from phx over the holiday....doesn't take much of an excuse to get use to go to moab....lol. Did ya get my phone message stephen? Was headin back from commerce city from a Frieghtliner training class and thought i'd swing by....BTW....that Chalet in Silt is down to $1500.

Doug Wright
    Grand Junct Co

14. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

One question...were you still using the front 10 bolt? I just want to be able to run the Golden Spike trail and just want to know what I should do to prepare for that.

15. Stephen

As it sits now it has the suspension that's lined out on the website plus:
    1" zero rates in the rear
    4.56 gears and 8 lug outers on the front 10 bolt. I resisted the urge to drop the lock-rite that I had sitting on the bench in the front since I know it makes them drive really crappy, so it's totally open and still has the auto hubs (wife likes them).

4.56 geared 14FF with the bottom ground smooth and detroit locker.

315/75R16 procomp all terrains on my old 16x8x3" backspace stockton wheels

more fender trimming to make the "not quite 35's" fit better.

I did the spike with no problems. I had to work it a little on the golden stairs since they're a double whammy for the 130-ish wheelbase but with the right line and right bump I made it. It did actually crawl the Double Whammy which is totally optional. I touched the rocker panels and actually bent the pinch seam just a bit dropping off a ledge but that's really all. I think an open diff sub could have done the trail but just not as easy.
    I like the 14FF just because I'm a not a huge fan of the 28 spline 10 bolt for a heavy truck that I rely on to get me home. And it forces me to go 8 lug in the front which gets me better brakes which never hurts.

Some good driving will go a long way, plan on a long day and if you have to have a spotter or throw some rocks, just do it. We ran the trail pretty quick and were still out for about 8 hours.

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Stephen,

I now am the proud owner of a 91 3/4 ton Burb............TPI406 K5 is gone for the same reasons you bought a Burb - ROOM.

Are you still only lifted 3" in the front? Reason I ask is I want a 4" lift and 35's - forget about the flex issue for a minute - they should fit without hitting in 'normal street driving', right?

I'll be calling this week to take advantage of the Xmas sale............. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Stephen

I'm not sure about the 4" and 35's even on the street. I had to trim the front of the opening (which will disappear below the marker light soon anyway) before I could go to the gas station. That's with the 3" TCI ezrides. It's also with 16x8x3" backspace wheels but they're the equivalent of a 16x10. One other problem is the 3/4T front (8 lug hubs) is 2" wider than a 1/2T front. I cleared 33's easily with far less trimming than it takes to clear what I have now, because they were on the 6 lug hubs and a 3.5 or 4" backspace wheel.

There's a possiblility of a 6.2 turbo diesel in the project 'burb but I hate to take out a perfectly good injected 350. And one of the criteria for this truck is keep it somewhat simple so I don't have to work on it much. So far we have about a day and a half in the suspension and about a day and a half or a bit more in the 8-lug/14FF swap. That's not a lot of labor overall and is actually pretty comparable to what it would take the average guy with a well equipped driveway/garage.

But a motor swap could turn into several extra days that I'd rather spend working on my crewcab or on Wally. It would be nice to have the power and milage but that may be a project for another 'burb.

18. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

like those suplus rims there cool, they fit the look of the truck real well. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Stephen

Like them enough to buy them? The 33's are for sale on the yard sale page on our site.

I like them too, they're cheap, durable and actually look pretty good. The whole truck seems to be about somewhat understated performance.

Except for the poor little 350 motor. It's understated and underpowered.

20. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

i wish but i spent most of my money on your 4 inch shackle flip, swaybar disconnects, and steering box brace.
    and i have a big list of things to buy.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifyou should make window stickers./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif that be cool to put on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif