Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project Fugly

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Apr 3, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As a few of you know... I started building a wheeling rig over spring break (beginning of March) from the bare frame and rusted out cab up.

Basically, it's a 79K5 frame with all of its stuff moved around and an 87C10 cab and motor put on it. Throw in some oddities like a hydro 465/208 and 56"/64" springs. Put it on a 10 bolt/12 bolt, disc it, and throw on some 39.5x15-15 TSLs. Make it as light as possible with as little weight on the front axle as imaginable.

Some threads I started while I was contemplating/addressing its build:
    my 120" of leaf spring post
    my hydraulic clutch thread
    my relocating the engine crossmember thread
    my relocating steering box thread (aborted this idea)
    my rear radiator thread (postponed)

Well, today was its 14th day of building. I got to drive it today. My interest was waning yesterday but now that it's mobile I'm more excited again. I still have a long ways to go.

The only issue I ran into was that it needs weight in the back (lights up the tires REAL easy) and the fact that I can't seem to shift into third gear while it's moving. I can go from 2nd to 4th but I can't seem to hit 3rd.

[​IMG]

2. LittlecountryK15

LittlecountryK15 Registered Member

lookin good so far

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Try putting it into fourth then third. See if that helps you out. Why it works I'm sure is complicated but seems to on some vehicles I've driven.

4. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

that thing looks sweet!! now I want to bild one.

5. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

looks so tuff! what's the wheelbase?

6. CyberSniper

Uhm, I haven't measured that. I can tell you right now that from the very front of the frame to the very rear of the frame is 15' on the nose.

It should be around 113" of wheelbase, give or take a couple inches. I'll measure tomorrow.

7. CyberSniper

Been piddly-dinking around with it a bit lately. About a month ago I broke my welded carrier and haven't driven it since. The factory K5 buckets are mounted and slide independently of each other. The interior and underside has been Durabaked. Made a core support and narrowed/tapered the front.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Looks good Brian-keep up the pictures ;)

9. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok I have to ask, what the deal with the shock angles? :confused:

10. CyberSniper

They've only got 13.5" of travel. If I had barrels of money I'd buy ones with more stroke. I'd like to mount them all vertical. The front ones are mounted at such an angle that they fully extend and fully compress at the limits of the spring. Since they're off the rear of a F350 they should have plenty of dampening. I originally didn't think they'd have enough dampening at that kind of angle so I bought 8 shocks... but they have plenty. The bad part is the tires rub on the shocks.

The rear ones were put on temporarily so you didn't get seasick going down the road. My left rear tire is out of round and with the 64" springs the back of the rig would start going up and down more and more until it was going up and down like 4" and make it a chore to drive. I put them on using an existing hole in the frame and temporary mounts on the axle tube. Well, they were supposed to be temporary but my friend got a bit nuts with the welder. These ones will get mounted vertically and I'll just run limit straps until I can afford 16"+ travel shocks.

Work on it has been pretty slow. I work all day and when I get home I don't feel like doing anything until 6:30-7pm and then it's quiet time at 9pm. This is assuming I don't have friends over bugging me... or neighbors. The fact that a lot of this body work I'll end up doing again makes it discouraging. The inner parts of the fender is separated from the outside so I have to patch it all together before I can work on it.

It'd be cake if I only crawled and didn't need inner wheelhouses. I'm 95% done with the bodywork on the passenger fender, maybe I'll post a picture tomorrow. I still need to make inner wheelhouses but I don't have steel right now to do it. And I still have another fender to finish hacking and welding. The nice thing is that the second of everything I've done thus far takes me about 1/3 of the time.

Then I need to figure out a way to secure the radiator in the core support with minimal room without looking ghettofabbed... then come up with front marker lights... been looking for CJ5/CJ7 front markers. Then figure out radiator hoses because the upper radiator hose on the 4.3L S10 radiator is like half an inch smaller in diameter or something.

I haven't driven it in like 7 weeks.

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the third gear problem is extremly common on sm465's. the c clips that seperate 1st and 3rd gear i believe get worn out and so the gear moves and the tranny wont stay in gear, asnd the syncros are of a bad design and the shift rails have weak springs, here's an article:
    http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/chevy/131_0208_tran/

12. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

PURDY BLUE! can i have it? lol just kidding. looks sweet. i would sugest a sort of flatbed cage thing like i have been seeing the yota guys doing. keep it light, but someplace to load a cooler sleeping bag and a tent.

balzer

13. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

My J**P has been down for years..just get after her man, you can do it! :D

14. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Is the blue paint a rattle can? If so, what color and kind? Looks to be real close to what I have already.

15. CyberSniper

Yeah, it's GM part number 14020811 that goes in there... it's a spacer that replaces the clips. Since mine is a 32 spline it should already be in there. I think my synchros are shot. I have to do the "blip the throttle" thing to get input to spin faster to match the output so I can downshift.

It's Durabak Smooth Blue. It's real close to Krylon's True Blue. It's just a tad bit darker than Dodge's light blue they painted all their trucks in the last 7-8 years.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141581

It got a bed that is 34"x39" that the fenders are getting welded to. Under it, via a trap door, there will be storage for my spare starter, alternator, water pump, and spindle. In front of the bed there will be a S10 plastic toolbox that measures like 22" deep by 16" tall by 54" wide or something.

I'd like to make a cage that ties into the rocksliders and back where the rear springs tie into the frame. But, at the same time, I'm trying to avoid using tube if possible. I'm kind of making it the anti-tube buggy. The other option is to run an exo cage but I don't know. It makes it kind of wide. Plus, I'd have to find someone that'd let me use their bender.

16. CyberSniper

I'm really wondering how good the visibility will be. It's tapered 2.75". Hopefully the visibility will be even better than my other truck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, I opened up my second can of Durabak and found Nickelodeon Gak-consistency stuff in there. Heck of a change from the bucket of water that was the first gallon. I thought I'd spray the second gallon on since the first gallon was so smooth so I was all excited. Then to find that. It took about 30% xyelene to thin it out... which is more than recommended... but it did the job. Still too thick for my gun to like it but it was manageable. Not like I was painting a show car.

Instead of having a beautiful body I went for the "not much body filler" method. I used a quart of body filler between the fender, the two doors, and the cab corners. I'll have to buy another quart for the other fender. Most of it ended up on the ground. I didn't use a sanding block on anything... all done with the D/A sander. haha. Besides, chances are after a season of wheeling it'll look like a wadded up ball of aluminum foil.

17. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

thats almost the same color as my truck. what kind of paint is it?
    [​IMG]
    looks very good too

18. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Looks like the fender is gonna get mashed when you flex...

19. CyberSniper

Durabak smooth blue.

I've only got 2" of uptravel before the springs go flat and I've got 6" of room at ride height. If I had 44s and had one tire stuffed and the other one at full droop it might touch... plenty of room for 40s. Want to sell me some 4" lift 56" springs?

20. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned