Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project idea...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Nov 5, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alright well right now i have an 87 K5.. the usual stuff. 350, 700r, 208, full 1ton axles in garage waiting for it.. its on 3/4 right now. Anyways, i've been playing with the idea of trying to find a crew cab pick up. I still want a back seat, like my k5,, but more of an actual bed instead of a k5 style bed, where there is carpet and other interior pieces.

Now this is where the tricky part is. I dont want the length of a full bed, so i'd have to shorten one if i got a full truck. CC are very hard to come by it seems in the northeast, especially ones that are pretty cheap. I really like the look of what.. MTMike did with a crewcab and the small bed/shortbed frame. Thats all i'd really want. Something to throw my bikes in when i want to go riding.. but still beable to carry all my buddies along.

My next idea was to buy a suburban.. and hack off behind the rear door as if i was going to do a k5 top install on it but then take the back of a truck cab and weld it on for a wall creating a bed in the back. while also shortening the bed/wheelbase a lil. With either of these ideas i'd prob just swap my whole drivetrain into because i like how they are working and quite reliable. What are you guys thinking, im leaning more towards the burban idea, cuz i can throw in some more lil custom things to the rear of it, and its easier to find one cheap than a CC. What do you think?

2. MrExtreme

MrExtreme Newbie

We are building one similar to your sub idea. We have a sub frame with crew cab, we are going to cut and weld a bed to fit. It appears that the bed will be ending somewhere around the forward edge of the wheelwell, because the tire moves rearward under compression, we will not need to cut the cab corners out for tire clearance, gonna run 38s +/-, coil overs and a 416 hp/1083 ft/lb 5.9 Cummins.

This truck's bed will be very small, less than 5 feet deep, maybe enough room for the spare, cooler and recovery gear. If this truck was not kind of a business card/ show truck, I would build a flat bed for it. We had considered another style where you use the 4 door longbed pickup, shorten the frame 2 feet or so and use a standard 6 foot (short) bed.

X

3. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i wantto build this one

and use a stepside and shoten it to just the fenders by removing th front step and cutting it back to fender and move the front wall back...i think it would be bitchin