Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project Ideas...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b00sted, Jan 12, 2005.

1. b00sted

b00sted Registered Member

Hey I'm new here. I was thinking of building up a K5 after seeing my buddies, with 14" lift and 44" boggers...The tires are taller than the hood of my car. :)

But here's what I had in mind:
    -SkyJacker 8" lift with the rear-springs
    -Traction bars in the rear
    - 38" tires, 15x10-12" wheels

Anybody do this setup? I'm looking to see exactly what tires will fit, and allow for some good articulation.

Thanks.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you want lots of articulation, run the lowest lift you can and still fit the tires. I run 39.5 TSLs with 5" of lift on my Blazer. Its all about fender trimming and minor axle relocation.

j

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I agree with Jek... if you looking for real off-road abilities, find the softest spring-rate you can, run the lowest lift you can run to clear your tires at full stuff. You will want to relocate your shocks to a more centered location, the further out on the axle they are and the more vertical they are the less room for movement you will have... as contrary as that sounds. (put them more toward the center and closer together at the top then the bottom and the shocks wont have to move as far when the axle drops, which allows for a "shorter" shock or a shock that will not bind or bottom-out)

if your going to run that much lift, your going to have to do some steering work so you might as well run cross-over steering. It will also help eliminate most of the "bump steer" you will encounter when running a large tire like that.

Most people will tell you to run 3/4 ton or 1-ton running gear under your truck, but I am of the opinion that if your careful with the skinny pedal and stay out of the rocks your safe with 1/2 ton gear... you do run the risk of wearing bearings out and the like, but I know LOTS of the guys here run big tires and 1/2 ton gear with no problems and very little breakage (when careful)

-R

4. b00sted

Well, I don't need a rock crawler(or that much articulation). I just need some articulation. I think the skyjacker will do well with discos on the swaybar, and no rear sawbar.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are going to run 8" lift springs in the front you will not need a front swaybar. The springs will be plenty stiff to support the truck. Any lift 4"+ basically does not need a swaybar unless you get some custom super soft springs.

I personally would run a 6" lift with a 1" zero rate add a leaf to get 7" total lift. 6" springs will flex better then 8" springs and the center of gravity will be a little lower. If you are willing to trim the fenders a decent amount you can get away with less lift. 6" is probably as low as you can go without moving the front axle forward some though. Otherwise a 38" tire will rub on the cab in the front.

Harley

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

8" superlift front and rear with stiff springs (for BBC), 38.6 16.5, 16 Baja Claws. The truck is made for race only, I still need to trim some fenders but not much,

7. b00sted

That truck is awesome...Although I'd head in a different route with it. I'd personally go for swampers and make it a deep mud type of truck.

I had another question. What am I gonna need for the drive train? I'm thinking the Tcase drop, then a lengthened driveshaft?

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    this is where it all begins, i was like you 2 years ago. its great! to answer your questions, yes a t case drop and longer, or better yet, new CV style shafts to remove all vibrations. you will have to change other things like steering and brake lines to work also. most everyone here will say you need a dana 60 front axle if you have high power and/or locked with those tires. Whats your budget like? what motor you planning on? what gearing? ect.:cool1:

9. b00sted

I'm not worried about vibrations all that much, as it won't be a highway truck. The trails are a few minutes away, and if the vibrations very bad at high-speeds, I can always borrow a trailer.(Say if I'm going to the badlands or something long-distance)

I don't have much of a budget. My dad said he would give me 3 grand to buy the truck, then I'll be paying for the parts. I'd start with the lift and tires, as well as steering and drivetrain...That should run me around 2 grand.

As for the engine, I'd leave it stock until the truck can support extra power...Then I'd throw in this 406sb I have in the garage, and have it built to make about 550 ft-lbs. and 500 hp before 5k rpm.