Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project "K30 Buggy"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Jun 9, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Project \"K30 Buggy\"

Well, I've made a little progress on my K30 buggy. Enough that I figured I might post some pics showing the progress and get some feedback. Take a look at this. So, what do you guys think?

Right now I'm mulling over different cage/buggy body ideas. Front hoop, hallo, or up-and-back with spreaders. About the only thing I'm sure of right now is that I will probably do a double b-pillar hoop. Since this is my first attempt at a cage, I'm thinking that up-and-back will probably be the easiest for me to get right. Those multi-plane bends for a front hoop that follows the windshield posts and then down the cowl are going to be murder. Suggestions? Any good bending info on the web other than "Bending 101" on PBB?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Project \"K30 Buggy\"

Man, that's a lot of work!! Also saddens me to see a perfectly good K30 get butchered. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif But oh well, to each his own! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Looks like a lot of work but major fun. Look forward to seeing it.

4. BadDog

Well, it wasn't exactly pristine. If you notice, that's a 2WD cab. Body panels were all different colors. Front cap was OEM GM black primer, one of the doors had landscaping adverts on it. The other was the wrong color of white for the cab. The cab had damage from where the previous bed hit it in the back and I crushed the rockers. Bed was a two tone and the floor looked like the ocean in a storm with the front bulkhead pushed out off most of the nuts, and the tailgate was a bowed out CUCV. Only thing I cut up that was actually good was the K30 frame, and the only cutting there was removing the rear 30" or so. I bought it for the drive train, (most of which was rebuilt and in great condition) for the express purpose of doing this with it. It just took me MUCH longer to get here than expected. Should be ready to go to Moab by August. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That's going to be one windy ride! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Holy S***!

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Why did you pic 112 for your wheel-base?

7. BadDog

What I really wanted was 110". Short enough to keep break-over angles in line and provide a good turning radius without being so short it killed climb and descent. 110 also provides plenty of room for a part-time back seat and cargo. 112 Kinda just happened...

Turns out that 110" is really easy to get on a K30 frame with the approach I used. However, any less becomes a problem with various pieces interfering (cross member, forward rear spring mounts, body mounts, etc.). Woohoo! Getting exactly what I wanted was easy for a change! But, I also moved the front axle forward so 110" turned into 112". Oh well close enough...

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Nice mirrors. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Looking Good. And I thought I was sawzall-happy. Any idea on what it will weigh when done? And what did you decide on for the gas tank?

Pete

9. BadDog

Hehe, I got tired of looking over my shoulder and that was the only convenient place to mount them. Also, if you fold them in, the cowl sticks out further and protects them.

On weight, I'm not sure. I'm hoping (empty) for mid 4k, but I expect more like 5k. Still, much lighter than a full bodied rig.

I'm looking for a small K5 gas tank right now. If I can't find an EFI tank, I'll adapt a regular model. Either way I'll mount it up high above the axle/drive shaft. Who knows, I may wind up making my own, or buying a cell is I start getting too close to August. Till I find what I want, I'll just bolt the old saddle tank across the bed and plumb it in for mobility.

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I think I'd go with a 20 or so gallon fuel cell.

11. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

it looks like norman bates was there /forums/images/icons/cool.gifwhat mother,yes mother i did park the truck safely(cleaning sawzall) /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif <font color="red"> </font color>

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    112 Kinda just happened...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm familure with that process. [flipoff]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[flipoff]

Now that I had some time to take a closer look, It's looks pretty cool.

I think you moved the rear spring hangers the same-way I did, just moved the 90-plate to the cross member, and bolted it up (exact same bolt pattern), then bolted the U-shaped hanger to the 90 and drilled the needed holes to mount the hanger to the frame. -Bingo, springs are moved forward AND they are square to each-other.

I'm not sure about bending tube/fabeing a cage for it tho', I haven't done much of that yet.

What about buying a Pre-bent cage and working off that? Like a Smitty-built cage, or something for a Jeep, or whatever. Might cut down the time-spent doing a complete custom job. And far less chance of fugginitup.

13. BadDog

Pretty close. On the K30, the cross member and forward hangers are already mounted together. I just cut the rivets out and moved it up as close as I could get it to the rear cab mounts without having interference troubles.

I thought about starting with a 6 or 8 point but, by the time I paid for shipping, it just didn't make sense.

14. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

love to see the progress...i can relate. if i may throw my two cents in...narrow it! that is the one mod that i wish i had done before adding the outer cage.

keep up the good work!

15. BadDog

Thanks, I know you've been there. I think your results are going to be more pleasant to look at. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I have already narrowed it by about 4" per side. The widest part ot the truck will be even with the outside of the cowl where the door bolts to it. The rocker tubes pretty much define the side of the truck. Any narrower than that and the windshield frame will have to go plus major firewall fab. I've already bitten off enough here, not ready to tackle that yet. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why not tube frame a place to sit (think of Marvin's fun buggy...) You got almost nothing left as it is...why stop now? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

J/K Russ, looks cool!

Rene

17. BadDog

Hehe, just wait. End result will be (I hope) a tube buggy body/cage built around a GM K30 chassis. I'm using bits and pieces, like the firewall, cowl, windshield, and floor, but that's just for convenience (to save time and $$$). Main blocker right now (other than being a bit paranoid about committing to starting the cage) is that I haven’t worked out the details of the fuel supply, that and it’s getting darned hot during the day.