Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project money pit soft top....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tayv, Jul 12, 2003.

1. tayv

tayv Registered Member

I am thinking about cutting the top all the way off of my 76 k5. I like the soft top that was used on the "money pit" truck. Does anyone no where I can get that? Was it customized at all?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

3. tayv

tayv Registered Member

Thanks alot, That is exactly what I need to know. IS there anything special I should know about whacking the top being that mine is not a natural full top. I have a 76 and I noticed the top was made for 73-75's It should fit the same yeah? Thank you!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Some 76's still had the rocker boxes. It's a box that runs from the rocker under the cab mount to the inner body suport rib. If you don't have that then you need to do some serious bracing. The truck will bend accross the front floor and throw the doors out of alingnment. The best way to grace would be a full roll cage and tie it int at both the kick pannels and the windsheild header. That will get the strength back that cutting off the roof removes.
    A rock slider rocker such as the one that 4x4 iron sells would also help. If you add a vertical pice to go up by the hinges it will help.

There has been a bunch of posts about this. I would spend some time doing searches and read up. Yeildtome and Muddin both have done this conversion.

5. tayv

tayv Registered Member

I was planning on a full cage and those same sliders. I hope that these will do the Job. Thanks for your help.