Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

project motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chillywilly, Jun 25, 2003.

1. chillywilly

chillywilly Registered Member

I work at a gm dealer and just picked up a core long block fron 98 suburban.It spun a couple rod bearings,but good start.Vortec heads and roller cam, Im gonna do the heads for heavier springs.Anyone know where you can get a cam reground?(roller cams aint cheap).Also thinkin going 383 route. Any ideas or suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifThis one will go in my mud ruck rpms limited to 6500.

2. chillywilly

Sorry about the spelling hotter than hell here (too many brews) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Somebody stop me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that you cannot stroke a roller block because the cam interferes with the rods on the upswing.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There's a local cam shop thats near me that I *think* regrinds cams, but I'm not positive. I'd check the yellow pages or talk to local auto parts stores and see where circle track (if you have any) guys get their cams.

You might also check ebay, I'd imagine stock Vortec cams are a dime a dozen, although with the cam those trucks run, it won't make much power up high. Specs were down around .430 max lift or something IIRC. Can't find the specific email or post that had the Vortec cam specs in it.

5. chillywilly

oops ya might be right,hafta look into that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah. I've heard that too. Rollers and 383 do not like each other.