Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project S-TON is starting real soon...

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by Mudzer, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Just an update guys - I nearly have the cat in the bag. I located a 95 S10 Extended Cab (newer body style) and will begin the swap-o-rama after bringing it home in the next few weeks. Here's some of my notes for this project:

Pretty sure it will have a Shortbed 4x4 Frame with 118" wheelbase - thanks Layne! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

S10 Cab will be mounted to where the front of the fender will be just in front of the front wheel centerline. So, quite a bit of setback for it.

Full interior roll cage with grab bars, "Watson Console" and rear seats sideways if room permits. It will have a working heater for our winter runs.

Behind the cab will feature a roll bar that is just higher and wider than the cab to protect it. Rocker Skids will be added. It will have aluminum fabricated fenders like Robin Hood's S10 which was in TTC '01.

Picture this truck with the new style cab:

[​IMG]

I will remove my lift springs and have zero lift - stock springs, possibly 56" rear springs. I'll push the t-case further into the framerails to have a completely flat belly pan.

Some new parts I'll be adding will be Aluminum Radiator, Aluminum Fuel Cell, Optima Battery, and other stuff.

Pam said it should be bright red, so it will be!

Overall, this should give me plenty of room inside the cab and I'll build some storage on the flat portion of the bed.

I'll owe a big thanks to Steve at MOO for the use of his new bender and notcher! This should be a project that will completely brake the Bank. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Neil,
    What are you doing for steering ? Your current setup won't fit under a flat spring setup. It would hit the engine crossmemeber etc. Are you going back to stock steering ? If so, I'll trade you draglinks !
    You could squeeze by if you had a flat engine crossmember...like in the crossover steering tech article here at CK5, but a flatter (basically flat) draglink would still be needed.
    Is high steer in the works ?
    BEWARE EVERYONE: Pimpin' in Progress has begun....

Blake

3. Mudzer

That is true - see boay, I say I say Boay thats why I keep you around!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Full Hydro!

5. ColAdo82K5

DING DING DING ! I think we have a winner...
    Visit the tractor supply store for details ?
    This would solve the problem of the steering column getting swapped into the new cab, esspecially one that is moved back on the frame....
    Oribital valve and new hoses needed, plus a new steering pump ? I'm not sure.
    Interesting solution to an interesting problem...
    (I have a set of stock springs if you need them)
    Blake

6. Mudzer

I considered this as well. Sounds like the project will take longer than expected. In talking with other Hybrid owners, they say the Suburban Frame is the best. I found one locally for free, so I might just go that route. The frame will need to be shortened, but I can run 56" springs in the rear.

I might just buck up for a Howe double ended ram and orbital valve. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Mudzer

ROADTRIP!!!

Looks like I am borrowing a trailer from the Father-in-law, then driving to Todds in O'Fallon. I'll deliver the Bumpers I had for sale in order to pick up some cash for the purchase.

We are hooking up to the trailer with Todd's tow rig and headed south. Im bringing Blake and I talked to Orion, he said he would ride with us too. Hey Bigdaddy, is Shagz going along?

He will want to get a good look at my pimpin' new ride. I saw pics and its full of some pimply painted dash pieces and shifter knobs, etc... Should be a real hoot.

We are picking up my 95 S10 Extended Cab "Cab" and front clip. This project is now officially under way! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I can see it now, you round everyone up and decide to stop off for a quick one in East STL ... two days later, empty wallets, end of project /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. Mudzer

Chris, Do you want to go with us? Seriously? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. ColAdo82K5

[ QUOTE ]
    ROADTRIP!!!

Looks like I am borrowing a trailer from the Father-in-law, then driving to Todds in O'Fallon. I'll deliver the Bumpers I had for sale in order to pick up some cash for the purchase.

We are hooking up to the trailer with Todd's tow rig and headed south. Im bringing Blake because he is way stronger then the rest of us and we need him to lift the cab off the frame, and I talked to Orion, he said he would ride with us too. Hey Bigdaddy, is Shagz going along?

He will want to get a good look at my pimpin' new ride. I saw pics and its full of some pimply painted dash pieces and shifter knobs, etc... Should be a real hoot.

We are picking up my 95 S10 Extended Cab "Cab" and front clip. This project is now officially under way! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There, I fixed it for you Neil. I know what you meant to say.
    Blake

11. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Neil, depending on when you get here in St. Charles area and where you guys are going, I might be able to come down and help out a little. Just need to be back here no later then 2:30pm.

12. Mudzer

We got back in one piece! The Cab is still sitting on the trailer, waiting to be hacked and installed. Should be a killer rig after Im done.

Thanks Todd, Blake and Orion. This was a good trip.

I've created a new sig line too:

Project S-Ton - from Ricer to Rockcrawler...

13. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

You need to leave the lowrider stickers on and keep the colorchange paint on the interior trim pieces. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

I wish you coulda seen the carnage on my friends truck when we got back to my house. He broke the 465/208 adapter and the output on the 465. They also tore my rear bumper off and broke the front u-joint on the front shaft trying to drag it out of the hole they were in. And I wasn't even there to see any of it. I hope you appreciate my help!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifj/k /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

We have to see pics of this truck BEFORE you do anything to it!

15. Mudzer

Friday I stripped everything off the firewall and started taking parts of the Dash apart.

Called Frisbie to order tubing for the roll cage. Next is get the Frame and 56" rear springs from Layne - then Mudzer gets dissasembled. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Talked to a body man and will order the <font color="red"> RED </font> paint.

The project is winding up boays!

16. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Wow man! I can't wait to lay eyes on this thing! I've had thoughts of doing the same to mine, just never had the ballz to pull the trigger!

Good luck man!

Hows the burban treating you?

-Dan

17. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Here is an S-Ton hybrid that belongs to a buddy here in Vegas. It's got a locked D60, and welded 14BFF, 454 big block, f*rd f350 super duty radiator mounted behind the cab with 4 electric fans, I think he said the front springs are 6" of lift, the rear springs are 56" out of a 'burb, homemade shackle flip, and 2wd spring shackles. It's sitting on 42" TLS's. It's a pretty sweet rig. Let me know if you want some more pic's of how is stuff is setup. I'll email them to you, or maybe put them on community webshots. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

Rick

18. Mudzer

Rick,

Could you ask what his wheelbase is? Just curious. Thanks. Maybe a side view would also help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I dont' see him very often, but here is what I know of it. His front axle is in the stock location, and the rear is where ever the 56" 3/4 ton chevy spring will put it. Here is a link to my webshots with a few more pictures. The other pic's I have don't show much, mainly the D60 crossover arm from ORD. Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

20. Mudzer

Heres some pics of when I brought the Cab home.

Side view complete with ricer decals. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

Interior shot with "Hilights" and cool pedal covers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

And lastly - how I keep my girlish figure. Half bag-a-donuts and a Diet Pepsi. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[​IMG]

I'll get progress photos of the Frame when I get started. Frisbie is ordering my tubing and we will get started on the Cage real soon.