Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Project "UAV"-no body lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnnyK5, Jan 1, 2002.

1. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

Project \"UAV\"-no body lift?

Project "UAV" in the Project vehicles" section does not note any body lift. Is this true? As far as tire contact goes- Is there a concern about putting too much pressure on the rear inner fender well? - I'm stock running 33's and I worry that my tires rub too hard against them now! I'm going to lift to fit 37's and I want to get all the correct clearance issues.

" IT AINT DEEP !! " -common phrase from that guy who doesn't drive to the local mudhole.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Project \"UAV\"-no body lift?

I'm in the proccess of installing a ORD 1" body lift right now if I can get off the computer. I also have rear wheel spacers so my rear wheels don't even come close to rubbing the rear at all.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

3. johnnyK5

Should I be concerned if I use...say... a 6" spring lift with 37x12.5x15 Goodyear M/T's ,no body lift, and fender trimming like "UAV"? Is there any special trimming done on yours or is it just like I see it? It looks like on the front you just trimmed back to the inner fender.

" IT AINT DEEP !! " -common phrase from that guy who doesn't drive to the local mudhole.

4. CK5

That should be more than enough, here is what I did to my innner front fenders: <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/fendercut>http://coloradok5.com/fendercut</a>

Steve

5. johnnyK5

Cripes! That was fast. lol

6. johnnyK5

Re: Project

Thanks for the photos. It sounds like my lift project just got less complex! Heres my list of mods:
    Front - 4" Skyjacker softride springs, ORD 2" shackle drop, and ORD greasable bushings.
    Rear - 2" Skyjacker softride springs, ORD 4" shackle flip kit and ORD greasable bushings
    37x12.5x15 Goodyear M/T's on my 15x8 wagons.[​IMG]

7. COYOTE35

COYOTE35 1/2 ton status

it must have taken a few beers to finally take a cutter to your turck, I need to but just can't seem to take a sawsall to it.

Whats wrong with big and wide?

8. CK5

I must admit the first cut is the hardest, I didn't want to do it but so glad that I did, now I love to hack it, in fact I plan on cutting out the rear wheel well so I can fit 39.5's.

Steve

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Steve, (or anyone who has trimmed fenders)
    What did you do to the sheet-metal after cutting it (from a rust point of view). Did you clean the edges after saw-zawing with a file, sander, etc. and what did you do for primer/paint. I plan on hacking someday and want to get some ideas. Thanks

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

We hacked mine pretty good when installing my Cut-out fender flares. We cleaned up the cuts with a sander and then sprayed some good old fashioned rustoleum on them to protect the exposed metal. Of course, since I was installing the flares, my cuts didn't even have to be that straight.

As far as getting the nerve to cut, I didn't want to cut my nice, clean sheet metal. But, on my first wheeling trip in these supposedly non-flexing Rough Country springs, I chewed the snot out of my front fenders! I was lucky I didn't cut a tire. Not too mention crossing a ravine can get quite interesting when the tire is shoved so deep into the fender that you can't steer!

So, after that, it was EASY to trim my fenders!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

11. CK5

After the cut, I got some white Rustolym and sprayed a bunch on a piece of cardboard then used a paint brush to coat the cut. Could have used some out of a can but that would have been the easy way.

Steve