Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

project update pic's...

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by solowookie, Mar 17, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

project update pic\'s...

got the axles springs etc. off this thing, and most of the stuff that is still on the frame will remain there long term;

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.vtengineering.com/stovebolt/AD-1.jpg>Picture 1</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.vtengineering.com/stovebolt/AD-2.jpg>Picture 2</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.vtengineering.com/stovebolt/AD-3.jpg>Picture 3</a>

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: project update pic\'s...

woohoo, I'm the first to view them on here!!!
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I'll tell what i think after i open them, I just wanted to post first/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

It's looking great, Now you have the access to install the mustang front, 4 link the rear and air bag it,LOL

I remember these days when we did my brothers.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

cool /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. solowookie

IFS yes, 4-link nope... I'm not sure what springs I am going with, but gonna find some junk yarders. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif kinda thinkin of the furd 57" F150 springs people have been running here. they should ride great, but I'd have to worry about how high the rear would be with that setup.

6. mudhog

its going to look damn good when you get it done /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My brothers truck has the stock rear springs. Just welded the perches on the otherside of the axle, used a chevy truck 12 bolt.

8. mudhog

but if you are going to put a healthy motor in it use a 14ff and convert it to a 6 lug /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

personaly and it may not be the best thing to mention on this site, but I would install a Ford 9"...
    cheap, simple, and found anywhere., or even the newer 8.8 out of an Exploder with disc....

10. mudhog

this is true /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

You look into RB's bolt in rear spring kits?
    uses stock holes, just bolt everything on and you're done

12. solowookie

it better look damn good when it gets done or I'm gonna be pissed! LOL this thing is not going to be stock at all, but completely hotrodded.there are only a few parts that I'm going to get new, and others I'm going to find junk yard solutions for.

I'm actually trying to find a second gen 10 bolt, you know the ones from the 89 &amp; laters so its a stronger axle. stock springs are only strong enough for 300 HP so that isn't an option for me because it just isn't safe.

I already have an axle located so I guess now all I have to do is decide on what springs I'm going to use. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.espo.com/>these guys</a> have stock replacements that are up to the challenge which wouldn't be too hard to fit in, but some junk yarders would be by far the cheapest route to go.

some guys even use minivan springs, but doubt I'll go that route. I'll let ya know when I get a set of springs on the thing! LOL

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

stock springs are only strong enough for 300 HP

<hr></blockquote> Oops my brother HAD 300 when he first got it running and the stockers are still in there, with 420 horse and a race prepped TH400 with a trans-brake.
    Maybe I should replace them before he gets out in June,LOL.

14. solowookie

actually I've considered a furd 9, but I got a guy who can do ring &amp; pinion work for next to nothing for me, and although the 9's are cheap the third members can get pretty expensive.

RB's doesn't actually manufacture thier own parts, but are just a reseller. you can usually find any part that they carry other places for cheaper. I haven't looked that thier kits, but I may have to try to check into it.

I know there are a few places that sell complete kits with new hangers etc. for around $459 at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.zigsstreetrods.com/>ziggs</a> that wouldn't be a bad way to go, but anytime you get a kit like that it's going to be more then a junk yard solution.

actually I think before I can do suspension I'm going to have the replace the floors and firewall in the thing. lookes like I'll be getting a mig welder pretty quick huh?

15. solowookie

LOL - yea that might be a nice idea... really the only reason I wouldn't go with stockers and just pull a spring or two from the pack.

16. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

he actually pulled out 2 of them but it didn't leave much there, so he put them back in.although it sat at the right height,LOL.
    yeah buy from ZIGGs,LOL it's an Oregon company.
    RB's is probably the same set up, about $530

Oh keep it chevy and get the older chevy with the drop out centers like the fords. I have no idea on prices, Just throwing out ideas.LOL

When we do my dads '29 sedan I want to do Mustang front and 4 link rear.... air bagged. Just plain and simple..plus he is buying,LMAO

17. solowookie

when I get to my project car I wanna do a late 30's, and I'm going to do the same susp. you outlined. not terribly expensive, but should ride great.

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

If i get the job i want at the Luxuary coach place I can get all the air bag stuff through them, My friend use to work there and put air bags on his S-10, front and rear, plus he was a welder so he made his own brackets and c-notch for the frame. he has like $80 into it.
    You can buy anything that the places uses too, So I really want to work there so I can get the cool headlights and tailights I want to fab into my 40. Plus the pay isn't bad.
    maybe I should finish the Willy's first,/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you want leaf spring but a nice low ride height go spring under. Perches and spring on the underside of the diff...nice and low.

I'd seriously consider a 8.8 from a newer Explorer. The width looks real close, they come with 4.10's commonly and have rear disc's. Junkyard friendly too...

Rene

20. solowookie

how strong are the 8.8's??? I'll probably be running somewhere in the upper 300's to lower 400's in HP with posi of somekind (probably a powertrax unit).