Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

prolly a REAL STUPID question, but........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, May 23, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Can you put D60 axles in a D44 carrier? If not, why? If so, why hasn't anybody done it?

Ok, that was 3 stupid questions.....let the lam basting begin!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Physical size and different spline count...D44 is 30 spline, D60 is 35 spline at the carrier. The D60 axle shaft diameter is also larger, so even if it had the same spline count they wouldn't fit.

Rene

3. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

It would be alot like trying to put big block Chevy pistons in a small block.

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Also, remember this ........ The only stupid question is the one that's never asked .............How else are you supposed to find out your answers. Don't feel dumb to ask questions in here !

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thank you all! It was something I had been wondering about for awhile. The reason I am asking is because while perusing the internet, I came across the Dynatrac site. They have complete "Pro Rock D60" axles for $995. At least that is the impression they give on their site. With everyone paying $1000-$1500 for their axles, wouldn't that be a good deal? Here is the link to the page that says they have d60's for $995.
    http://www.dynatrac.com/html/pro_rock_60.html

6. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Don't feel stupid thought of this same thing a while ago adn how to make it work. I'm guessing the pro rock 60 is the housing only. So you still need shafts,cover,hubs, so on and so on. But think you could come out for a decent price with a badass axle if you shop right. I think it still beats 1200-1700 for used stock axles if you've got the extra cash.

Chris

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I'll have to call them and find out I guess.

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure that price is for the center section only. No tubes, knuckles, shafts, spindles,hubs, carrier or anything else. It would require a lot more money to finish putting it together.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look really close at the picture and you'll notice that there aren't any axle tubes installed in it. You can see through the holes where the rosette welds would be. Also take a look at the drawing at the bottom of that page. It appears that your $995 is just for the center section. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Add axle tubes, steering knuckles, spindles, axle shafts, rotors, calipers, a locker, etc and I'll bet that you're looking at $5,000+ for a complete front axle assembly. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Dynatrac makes some good stuff, but they're VERY proud of it.

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

but wouldn't it be cool if you could?! get the races machined have some custom parts made and you'd have a pretty cool axle.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

front or rear?
    front you would still need knuckles larger enough for the 1480 series u joints
    a 35 spline spool wouldnt be impossible to build, what is the ID size of the carrier bearings on a 44
    a 60 is a good deal after looking at the cost of all the alternatives and one off custom stuff