Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Prolly gonna be headed out to Georgia pretty soon...

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by shane74, Apr 1, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

My company has asked me to relocate to Duluth. It just might work out, and I'm doing research into housing, cost of living, schools, all that good stuff. So...where's a good place to live around the Duluth area with wheelin' not too far away? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Side question for ya. Are you by chance going out to Duluth and coming back to W.V. anytime soon??

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Duluth is in Fulton county and cost of living (taxes) are insanely high If I were you I would move 20 mins north into forsyth county, and you can hunt in forsyth (big deer) to if you like that /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif for wheelin TELLICO isnt far maybe an hour or beasly kob orv which is fairly tuff stuff, and for schools what year?

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

By W.V. do you mean West Virginia? I'll be headed to Duluth, but not WV anytime soon.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Duluth is in Fulton county and cost of living (taxes) are insanely high If I were you I would move 20 mins north into forsyth county

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the info. We'll be looking in areas where the cost of living is reasonable and the schools are ok. My daughter will be going into the 7th grade and my son will be going into the 5th grade.

6. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

dude your moving to Georgia the school system here sucks like 48th or 49th in the nation the best schools outside private are in east cobb county and north west fulton county, but the schools by were your moving to arent that bad either

7. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My company has asked me to relocate to Duluth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so sorry.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMO, the North side of ATL offers the best options for housing and schools, but that depends a lot on how far you want to commute. Some of the western and eastern most suburbs are also decent. I almost relocated to ATL about a year ago and looked around over there pretty extensively. Housing costs are high, but that's because there is a big demand. I found most of the new construction is for huge houses. You have to look a little harder for mid-range housing. However, coming from the west coast though you may be accustom to the home prices.

Oh yeah, get a commuter car and some patience, lots of patience, you're gonna need both.

8. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

Sorry to correct but Duluth is in Gwinnett County. Good to great schools because the area has grown like crazy in the last 15 years. Lots of money lives in that area.

Some good trails in North Georgia and great places to camp. Also, Tellico is only three or four hours away /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Lots of money lives in that area.

[/ QUOTE ] Well I KNOW it won't be mine! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

Not mine either! I live in ritzy, snooty Buckhead (I'm poor though) and I love passing Bentleys and new Range Rovers with mud all over the Tahoe from a previous adventure. Guys frown, chicks grin. I must be onto something with this whole 4x4 thing /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Might try listening to the traffic reports and get a good idea on some of the bad spots... WGST AM

Hey, what ever happened to the CAD job you were saying might open up in Vancouver this year?

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I like WSB better for trafic. 750 AM, trafic reports every 6 min during rush hour. WGST is every 10 min.

13. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    I like WSB better for trafic. 750 AM, trafic reports every 6 min during rush hour. WGST is every 10 min.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you listen over the net? I just listen to WGST because I want to listen to talk radio while sitting at my desk here in WA state /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They even take all the commercials out of the online stream /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

YEP! http://wsbradio.com/ Just click on the "Listen Live" tag. IIRC, all stations that offer live streaming are now required to do that.
    They also have Neil Boortz in the AM & Royal Marshel at night (9-11)

15. big k5

big k5 Registered Member

I live in north georgia, probally about 1 1/2 hours from duluth.I consider anything from gainesville south THE BIG CITY & I refuse to go down there at all unless I'm passing through! It's too damn crowded.I personally can't say for sure since I won't (ever) live down there,but as far as places to wheel ???? you may find someplace where a new subdivision is going in....It would be fun until the high dollar houses were built.I geuss i'm just used to the mountains. GOOD LUCK

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what ever happened to the CAD job you were saying might open up in Vancouver this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'll put it as the VP did to me..."we are realigning the assets of the company to the needs of the business"..which means, nope not gonna happen, and BTW if you want a job, you'll go where we tell you... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I live in ritzy, snooty Buckhead (I'm poor though) and I love passing Bentleys and new Range Rovers with mud all over the Tahoe from a previous adventure. Guys frown, chicks grin. I must be onto something with this whole 4x4 thing

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! I'm not in a ritzy neighborhood, but the folks around me all drive nice new cars and trucks and look at me funny when I fire up the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif They really get a nasty look when they see me driving through the neighborhood all muddy and stuff /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif It's even funnier when they watch me clean all the mud off on the side of my driveway /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Might try listening to the traffic reports and get a good idea on some of the bad spots

[/ QUOTE ]

I have ben to Atlanta/Duluth many times. Pretty much anything is crappy traffic. The only way is if you where you can travel in opposite directions, meaning headed out of Atlanta in the morning, and back in at night. Either way, traffic is gonna suck! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. kennyw

Sounds like Chicago /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I hate big cities...

20. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

so when are you gonna do the move? i'm not but 20mins from the duluth area.