Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Prolly very stupid idea but........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justhorsinaround, Apr 5, 2004.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Has anyone ever thought of buildin some sort of sliders for the tail of a Blazer? I don't wanna lose the storage area in the back cuz we go wheelin with the kids so we use that area for ice chest, tools and what not. We've banged the back end a few times pretty good comin off of rocks and was wonderin if there might be a way to alleviate that occuring. It's really late and I can't sleep so pardon me if this is just plain dumb. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i can see it being done. they wouldnt be the welded to the body style as there wouldnt be much to brace it to. you could cut a bunch of the rear fender out behind the wheel, then put in a well braced piece of steel and make it look good.

the other option is to run a exo style bump guard like Fred's(FWP and i call it a bump guard because it isnt a cage.)

his looks awesome and performs well.
    Grant

3. justhorsinaround

Dang Grant! What're you doin up this late early?

Allan

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my class 3 hitch works rear good as a slider.i have dropped 2 feet onto a big boulder and only scratched the paint. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifi didnt see the droppoff ledge until it was too late. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif.i reinforce the frame where the hitch is attached and also welded in some extra metal to brace it.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

How about moving the axle back about 2"......or buy some bigger tires?

Either one would help your departure angle.

6. justhorsinaround

Big expenditures are right out for a while at least. Our reciever is what's currently doin the job now. I will say when we smack it my boy thinks that's the greatest thang goin.
    Like I said this is prolly just goofy but, well there ya go. Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

At an offroad park downstate I saw a K5 with the biggest skidplate I ever seen. It went under the fuel tank and came even with the back of the differential cover. It stuck out to the sides just short of being even with the part of the body that stuck out furthest. It also was a bumper with a receiver hole in it.

It looked kind of like a boat from behind. The structure was triangulated from down where the gas tank was up to the top of the c-channel in the frame and went out the sides kind of like how some members do their "boatsiding".

The guy said it comes apart in four pieces. He said it was real heavy but it got the job done. He also had some elaborate skidplates underneath. He ran 36" TSLs on 10/12 bolts with ARBs. It was a pretty crazy K5 but you could tell it took him forever to build it.

8. onetwistedk5

onetwistedk5 Registered Member

maybe a hack job like this? [​IMG]

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dang Grant! What're you doin up this late early?

Allan

[/ QUOTE ]
    i just got in. this is my normal bed time almost.
    i was thinking about the sides more so than the back.

a new bumper(not free ), trim some of the sides up(free), and a gas tank skid along with pushing the axle back(read FREE) would be a good start.

Grant