Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Prolong

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Anyone use this stuff. I have used it from time to time but never religiously. Does this stuff work? Are there any engine oil adatives that do work. I am just wanting to see what people have to say about this stuff. The Best Oil post made me thing of it.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Snake oil, just like Slick 50, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Thats what I was thinking. I ran it occasionally when my dad would bring a bottle home from work. But I was never impressed or amazed by it. I never bought it on my own. To expensive for 2000-2500 mile oil changes like I run.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well some of those additives do work to reduce friction. But ones like Prolong contain chlorine. Chlorine is very slippery and will reduce metal to metal friction BUT it is also corrosive and it will eat bearings.
    Heres what the government has to say about Prolong, duralube, Z-Max ect :FTC Report

Feds sue Z-Max

I have been using this stuff regularly for the last ten years:
    tufoil.com
    Some here will say its "Snake oil" But it works good for me.
    Some of the gold mines use Tufoil in their heavy equipment around here. They would not use it if didn't save them money and it was not cost effective. All they care about producing gold as cheap as possible.

You cant usually find this stuff at stores you have to order it directly from them

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My issue with all of that kind of stuff is that it's nearly impossible to prove or disprove that it works unless you have access to a multi-million dollar engine testing facility. I know a guy that has a '91 Suburban that he beats the living crap out of. He's broken axles, trannies, driveshafts, etc. The stock TBI 350 was neglected and abused, but still didn't give up until it had 296,000 miles on the clock! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif No fancy lubes or synthetics, he only changed the oil when he got around to it. Other people take great care of their stuff, change the oil religiously, spend a fortune on Slick 50 or one of its kin, and spin a bearing or throw a rod before 120,000 miles. So who's to know what's going to happen with a given engine?

All the of additive companies have a great "warranty". If you can prove an oil-related failure, then they'll buy you a new engine. But the only oil related failures that I've ever seen or heard of had to do with a broken oil pump or an empty sump, neither of which would be covered by the "warranty". /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It's a great business to be in, at least it was until the gov't finally seems to have involved themselves. Make huge profits on a product that is all but impossible for the average consumer to disprove. Somebody got really wealthy selling quart bottles of Slick 50 for $39.95 each. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

*(in a deep hillbilly voice)*.....yeah i run the stuff... put the stuff in after i lost the drain plug to my oil pan.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

really though... i do use a couple other products of theirs that i will atest to being very good. They have a paint sealant and waterless paint cleaner, they both work real good.