Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Prominator guys....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, May 11, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I just got a job laying concrete for 10+ bucks an hour so i will have the $$$ for a prominator in the next month.... my question is how do i get my existing .bin onto the labtop? I know you lose the .bin when you get the prominator soldered in but i was wondering if there is anyway to get it without using a prominator to read it. I want to get MY .bin because it ran good when i had the stock motor in it and i think it had a chip installed.

How can i pull my .bin?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First thing to do is check the FTP section over at diy-efi.org

If they have your .bin, get it that way.

I started burning PROM's the other night on the desktop compy, (to test everything :))and decided I would be nice and grab the data off of a stock 1991 V3500 and post it up for others to use. (since that's a TBI 454 w/4L80E control)

Unfortunately the stock "chip" is soldered to the carrier. There is probably some sort of remover, but it looked to me like you'd have to remove the solder somehow, and I didn't want to mess with it THAT bad. You've got the '747, there is quite a bit of data on it.

I just don't know in with the prominator how you'd go about getting that data since you don't use the PROM burner/reader like I have.

Prominator is Moates', right? Have you spent the time reading the forums and instructions over there, and searched thirdgen.org's forums for tips from those that have used it?

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Removing soldered chips is pretty easy. You can buy a tool at Radio Shack for less than $10. They work real well too... fast and easy...

After you get it out, solder a socket in its place for future chips.

Desoldering Iron
    [​IMG]

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Yup... i've actually read the whole LONG page about .bins and chip burning over at thirdgen but i never posted anything up about prominators. I've searched a couple times and haven't got the info i was looking for.

I must have something wrong with my comp or it could be that its running in safe mode because everytime i download a 7747 .bin theres nothing to read on tuner pro.

Do you have a link to the ftp section? I might have been looking at the wrong links.

I'm pretty sure that you just take a soldering iron and heat the solder up enough for the chip to be removed one bead at a time.

sorry for the dumb question but what is moates?

I did read all the stuff on bills site...

5. dyeager535

moates is the guy that makes a lot of stuff available...moates.net He doesn't have much if anything to do with the Prominator from what I can see.

I remember you went through this before, you've selected the right ECM in tunerpro before trying to view the .bin you downloaded?

BIN library I see the 747 listed twice there, the "42" should denote a different mask, which is probably a more current version. GM kept updating these things. You'll have to figure out what you have, although you can "update" with a more current mask.

I searched on the Prominator just now, apparently you have to get a .bin yourself from somewhere, I guess online, although the Prominator site mentions if you tell them what .bin you want they can ship it "loaded" for you.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Interesting.... i found out yesterday i blew my injectors with my 45 psi pump so i am trying to do everything i can on it as long as it doesn't cost money. I have time to pull the ecm out and was wondering how to i tell which bin i have. I know we went over this before but i don't remember what the thread was called.

7. dyeager535

Just pull the "PROM cover" off the ECM, (the piece with the two screws holding it in place) and the on the blue plastic piece or through one of it's "windows" you should see the 4 letter BCC, which is how you'd look up your .bin Something like "AWAY", AFAIK on your vintage always 4 letters, and always start with an A or a B.

Getting that whole assembly out is just like taking RAM out of a computer. Push the levers down on either side of the blue plastic piece until it pops free, then remove.