Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

propane and nitrous

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler2, Jan 6, 2007.

1. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if I can run a nitrous kit on a propane powered engine. My big block has a dual 450 impco setup. I want to run nitrous on it. I was wondering if it is possible, and if so, do I use gas, or alcohol for the fuel part of the nitous setup.

Dan

2. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I don't see why not. All that is needed is enough extra fuel - it doesn't matter if it is gasoline or propane. The difficulty will be in how to add the extra fuel, and most nitrous folks will probably give you a blank stare when you mention propane. :doah:

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I had a Marvin Miller NOS on my Z28 27 years ago. It had two solenoids one for the NOS and one for the gas. You ran the nos to that one and then you had to have the gas run to the other one.

Also you learn to count... one thousand one; one thousand two; one thousand three

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Its called a "wet-shot". DesertDueler has been into drag racing, I'm sure he knows all about wet vs dry shot.

I'd just use gasoline for the wet-shot. You'd have to really step up on jetting to run alcohol. Did you build your engine FOR propane? I mean is it a high compression engine? If so then run something like 108 for the wet-shot.

By the way, still have the Bird?

5. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OH forgot to say they went to a spacer plate under the carb with the dispensing nozzles. Horsepower in a bottle!

6. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

retard the timing about 5 or 6 degrees so u dont blow it sky high.

7. DesertDueler2

Yea I still have the 69 firebird, how about you? As for the motor, it is 12.5 to 1 compression. It is ready for alcohol or propane, and since I just picked up a dual propane setup with tunnel ram, dual bottles and all the lines for $600 I am going that route.

As for knowing about nitrous, that is correct. I have been running nitrous on my bracket car for almost 10 years now. I just dont really know alot about propane, except it is close to 113 octane, and it burns clean:D And it will allow me to make my firebird street legal again:bow:

Dan

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Still have the Bird, still haven't done anything with it. Looks like it will be getting a Small Block Chevy. I've been considering giving up the truck builds to build the Firebird. Likely won't happen, just a thought.

9. WC

WC Registered Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is what I'm running in my buggy and will soon be swapped into my K5. 421 SBC with a single impco 425 mixer on a victor jr manifold with a pro-shot nos system. I add propane with the nos through the nozzels(5:1) using nitrous soleniods on both the fuel and nitrous. Using the 'pane, being a vapor(vaporizes as it leaves the nozzel), is much more compatable with the nitrous the liquid fuels. Being both vapors, close to the same temp, high octane, slower burn time, and a higher flash temp, it's like they are made for each other. I use a Mastermind box for timing changes and all the other cool adjustments it offers.
    A dual mixer setup would be very nice.

10. DesertDueler2

WC, that setup is awsome. I may go that route. I just got off the phone with nitrous express, and they said I can run the nitrous kit on gas or alcohol. I may have it gas. I am looking into having a startup setup like the ones drag racers use to warm up alcohol cars. The call them primer kits like this http://www.killerrons.com/primer.cfm That way I can start it on gas and let the engine warm up so I dont have to worry about freezing the lines on the propane while it is cold(mostly for winter months). so if I am going to run that, then I might as well use gas for the nitrous kit:D

Dan

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I really doubt you will have freezing issues in AZ. I have been figuring on running a block heater on the S10, mainly so the coolant passing through the vaporizer is warm at start up. If you are REALLY worried, wrap the line from the tank to the lock, and from the lock to the vaporizer. And run a block heater, don't worry about the vapor line from the vaporizer to the mixer. Thats my thought on it anyway.

12. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Sled Dog, what dia line are you running from the tank to the lock? And what size are the fittings?