Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Propane guys check in, what are you running on a 425?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 16, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

After a trail ride at Paragon yesteday, I'm thinking about my fuel injection / LP options for my 383. One of the guys on the previouslly had the same carb as me, he said it was nice but the TBI "upgrade" was way better. So when I start adding up the fuel injection system to feed my 383 with a LT4 Hot Cam, it gets pricey.

So what are you guys feeding with an IMPCO 425 mixer? Thinking Propane may be my better option. The S10 is trail only as it is, so fueling up at the local gas station isn't a worry. And heck if its going to be cheaper than fuel injecting the motor, why not? Besides my engine is about 10.5:1 compression on steel heads, a little octane wouldn't hurt it.

2. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

I myself dont have propane, but two of my friends are running it. Here are some of my opinions based on experiences. One guy running a Ferd 460 with 11.5:1 and something simular to an R.V. cam, with two mixers. It performs like any big block would, very well. The other is a BBC, motor has unknown internals, with one mixer. Basicly its a terd. I out performed him where wheel speed was needed with an old wore out small block. and i have bigger tires, less gear... and a smaller motor. Hope i was of some help.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I run it.
    Best mod I have ever done.
    As for motor wise its just on a mild crate 350. Although with propane it will work VERY well with alot of compression.
    So are you asking if the 425 will be able to flow enough for your 383?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats the question I guess. I've heard mixed reviews on its abilities.

I have an email in to the guy at Propaneguy.com. Think I will just buy a rebuilt OHG 450, VFF30, and E Series Regulator from him. When I start looking fuel injection, its too much time and money when I could just slap on these parts and go. I need to locate a couple of tanks and a few for spares. Think if I have 2 tanks in the truck, and 2 on the tow rig, it will work out great. Make for those weekend trips to be no worry. Now just to find a bunch of forklifts in a junkyard :haha: