Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Propane injection, everyone read!!!!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by imiceman44, Dec 15, 2004.

1. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey Guys
    Up till last night I always heard propane injection only works on turboed engines.
    Well last night my buddy Wes was reading somewhere that it can be done on a NA 6.2 and that bully dog has a kit for it and you can get 100HP extra with it.
    Well he had a regulator from a Oxy Acet system so he put it on a propane tank, put the line in the air box intake, and went for a drive on a hill where he usually is lugged down to a max of 50mph in his crew cab dually utility truck.
    Well the same spot with 5PSI of propane, he was going 70 and had to let off the gas because he was going too fast.
    He experimented with different pressures and got pinging at 6PSI so 5 is max for this setup.
    He's working on a better diffuser in the air box and some more testing and I will update as we get more but GUYS: start doing it, he felt the difference in the seat of his pants. He could feel it when he turns it on or off, he said litterally: "I had a squirel under the hood, now I have Three. :)"

More to come.
    We want to dyno the setup when we get it fine tuned but for now, it's worth it.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I had always heard the same thing, until i started hanging arround the Diesel Stop. There are actually quite a few N/A guys over there running propane with pretty good success, but nobody has any dyno #'s yet for a N/A motor on propane. Ill be interested to see if your buddy puts his on a dyno and what the actual numbers are.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Diesel Stop is where he heard it and decided to try it last night.
    I will make sure we tweak it right and then dyno it I want to see some numbers, and I will do the same on my perkins and compare. I also have a turbo 6.2 I am rebuilding I want to do the same propane injection too .
    Also to note, when testing the other component that showed big improvement is temp, it used to go up on steep hills, now it's steady at low temp since it's running more comfortable.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I would assume you guys played arround with this over the weekend, any updates?

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

No news from him yet, he hasn't called me since I posted here.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

What did it do to the EGTs?
    The propane is displacing some amout of air so it could potentially raise the EGTs.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

He's working on getting a guage on, but now it's just running cooler so we're assuming it's not bad.

8. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

updates????

any word on the updates of this project?

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

No time, no money for guages so he's on hold for now.
    ALl we got so far was steady engine temps, lots of power and better fuel economy. All this was noticeable.
    It will be a while before we get further into this, but the source we got the idea from (diesel stop) has lots of feedback.

10. FWP

FWP CRS

Top.... What's new, anything?

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmmmm?

If this proves out--my 20lb propane tank wont see much B-B Q ing this summer!... :D kinda sounds like nitrous for a diesel! :laugh:

12. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

Anyone know if this will work on veggie oil or biodiesel? :confused:

13. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I can't think of a good reason why it wouldn't
    George

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that is exactly what it is, i had read some about this a few years ago when they were offering kits for newer fords,

they needed to inlarge the exauset, but thats about it.

it rased combusatability, lowered emitions and gave more power, they said it did for diesels what NO dose for gassers!

my only question it, since you are entering propane into the clys and the air mix must be more volitle, so could this make the air mix ignight permaturly?

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i just wonder if propane injection will decrease the longevity/reliability of the engine :confused:

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Theonly way I would see it might if you end up with too much pressure or high temps.
    My friend ended up with lower temps and I don't think you can get too much pressure with a NA diesel.
    No more updates since the post was up, he is still working on a switch because it was pinging if he had propaneon and let off the gas.

17. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I got a tank last week for when I get mine running :D

18. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I've been thinking about a way to use the propane tank that's already built in to my motor home and plumb it into an injection system. Wouldn't that be cool? Turn the stove on and gain 100hp! :p:

19. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Found this in the FAQ section on the Banks site

Does Banks offer a propane injection system?

We've followed the interest in propane-injection systems for diesel engines, and tested several to see if they are a valid way of safely increasing horsepower. We uncovered a number of serious safety issues:

1. Propane injection is nothing more than a way to add more fuel to the diesel engine. Without additional airflow, that additional fuel delivery can produce excessive exhaust-gas temperatures that harm internal engine components.
    2. When propane is injected into the intake tract, it actually displaces some air, further increasing the risk of excessive exhaust-gas temperatures.
    3. Too much propane can cause detonation, which is very damaging to internal engine components.
    4. Propane is commonly injected into the intake prior to the turbocharger. This means that propane is present in the pressurized intake air, introducing a volatile fuel in an air-stream that would not normally contain fuel of any sort. Turbo-diesel engines occasionally develop intake boost leaks, and when propane is present, a boost leak could result in the presence of propane in a heated under-hood environment. This is a great safety risk.

Before Banks ever sells a propane-injection system for diesels, these issues would have to be resolved in the course of our product development.