Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

propane power

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy4x4, May 24, 2001.

1. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

<font color=orange> I posted a similar question about one year ago, but i'll ask again. Is it worth to convert to propane or get a propane powerd engine? The response I got is that propane engines need more fuel to run, so it's not worth it much. That seams reasonable. But, a few days ago, i talked to my dad who has a 5 ton propane truck. He said, that he spends about 800-1000 (cnd) on fuel/month. He also said that he talked to guys with 1 ton diesel trucks that get driven about the same amout, and they spend a little more money on fuel. I find this a bit hard to belive, cause If propane were so good, i think that almost all cars would have propane engines...half the price of gas, better mileage then a diesel?! That can't be right. If that is true, then propane engines are about 4 times cheaper to run then gas engines...Nah, that can't be right. I don't think anyone would mind the smell if the propane engines would be 4 times cheaper to run. I think that they are a bit cheaper to run than a gas engine, but not much. I want to know what the "new" members think. </font color=orange>

<font color=orange>L8R...

chevy4x4
    </font color=orange>

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I dont know what propane engine you are smelling but I would sure rather smell propane fumes than diesel or gasoline. I'm pretty sure since propane is a cleaner burning fuel you get more life out of an engine....

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

3. 1big78k5

1big78k5 Registered Member

I have always heard that propane engines burn more fuel and cost a little more to run than a gas engine. Can propane engines make the same HP as a gas or diesel motor?

'78 K5 SB400, T350, NP203, 35" Swampers

4. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

I found a place here in Milwaukee that does these convesions on fleet trucks- 350 TBI's included... however, I have heard that they take more gas and don't have as much power... the only way I'd run the system would as a back up while out on the trails or if i'm going cross-country and not many gas stations in sight... that's what my perspective is but it could be totally twisted since i looked into it last summer.

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

<font color=orange>I don't know what propane your sniffin' [​IMG], but the engines I have smelled stunk. In the 5 ton truck, you can almost always smeel it in the cab. It doesn't bother me at all...but I would sniff diesel or gas anytime instead of propane...</font color=orange>

chevy4x4
    </font color=orange>

6. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

<font color=orange>Since we are already talking about propane, diesel, etc., could someone expain how the propane injection on a diesel works? I've heard it's like nitrous in a gaser, gives you more power (duh) and getts better mileage(?) That's about all I know...someone explain...</font color=orange>

chevy4x4
    </font color=orange>

7. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Pretty much in a nutshell it helps the engine burn more of the fuel providing more power and better gas mileage. I don't know why it does this maybe someone else knows, But you could poke around <A target="_blank" HREF=http://thedieselpage.com>http://thedieselpage.com</A>and see what you can come up with. If you can't find anything in the public areas I could also get in the members area and look around for you since my dad is a member there.

[​IMG]Inline 6's are cool[​IMG]

8. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

<font color=orange> It helped a tiny bit[​IMG]. I usually just check the forums at the diesel page, but i'll look around the site. I can access all the forums...[​IMG]<font color=orange>

chevy4x4
    </font color=orange>

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Propane offer about 20% less horsepower and about 25% less torque than a gasser- so even though in theory propane powered vehicles are more fuel efficient, you actually have to use much more pedal to achieve the same kind of power you would expect from a gasoline engine. In cold weather, the LPG actually gels, causing hard starts and low performance. And heads and valves take a beating because of the higher internal operating temps.....In fact, a true LPG conversion includes installing stronger valves. Another downside is that somewhere on your truck you'll be carrying a bomb full of highly volatile fuel that you HOPE won't blow if you're involved in a collision.

Now that I've given you all the bad news, it's time for the good. Propane-powered engines should last a lot longer as the combustion process lets off about 60% LESS particulate matter due to the cleanliness of the fuel. Cleaner fuel=cleaner oil=less internal wear. There is also the environmental aspect to consider- cleaner fuel=less harmful emmisions out the exhaust pipe. LPG also costs a lot less(on average) than gasoline or even diesel, but once again you have to remember that you'll use more fuel to go the same distance.

In case you're curious, I speak from experience. I used to own a Ford350 cube van when I had my moving company. It was dual fuel(LPG/gasoline) and I had my fair share of problems with the system. If you choose to go with propane, I would suggest going with a full conversion instead of a dual-fuel setup. A dual-fuel system compromises as best as possible between the two fuels, leading to an entirely new chapter that I won't bore you all with...........

Sorry for the long post, but I hope you got the info you were looking for!!!![​IMG]

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Propane has a few things going for it and a few against.
    1. It has about 116 octaine (compression up the wazoo!)
    2. When you decompress a liquid to a gas it gets real cold (better than running a cold can)
    3. Don't have to pay the gas tax
    4. It has a lower BTU output than gas (less bang per pound)
    5. Not as easy to get on a road trip

If your motor is built for propane (alot of compression and advanvced timing) it will make plenty of HP and cost less to run than gas (worse mileage but half the price).

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

11. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    My experance to propane smell has been limited to our 3 forktrucks we use all winter indoors without any ventilation, We also use to have a propane F700 that didn't smell nearly as bad as our diesel truck of about the same size.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

12. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

If you want to learn about propane injection on a diesel than look at this site. http://www.westport.com A buddy of mine is a stockbroker and he figures this is going to be the cats ass but I never bought any...too broke I guess. Anyways, I was intersted in it just as it was something different. I have also read that ATS offers a propane injection kit for diesel trucks that with a 1/4" nozzle increases power by about 25% and mileage by 20% (give or take) but with a 3/8" nozzle it got the same mileage but about 40-50% more power. By mileage I mean the cost to drive a certain distance, propane and diesel included.

I don't think my buddy needs any more power, we hooked him up to a 2000 f150 4x4 with 33" SSR's and they had a pulling contest down the middle of the highway...damn was that funny. Broke the pinion gear in a 10.25!!!! Cool
    I have a buddy with an F350 with a 7.3 and I have tried to convince him to do this as I want to see it but he is concerned for the life of his motor. Dman diesel is soooo expensive to fix.

Just keepin it Canadian[​IMG]

13. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

I have made a few posts on propane power the past couple of months. I hope this one will explain a little more about the running of a propane powered vehicle. First of all, propane is a very clean and high octane fuel. It will make an engine last longer than the gasoline we are getting these days and at this time less than half the price. One thing we have to get past is the consumption of fuel gasoline vs propane. If you have an engine that has upped compression, you will be able to get much better performance from propane. I am running a 383 with 11-1 compression ratio and I get the same mileage with propane as gasoline. I will qualify that a little by saying that I am running an Impco 425 propane carb with a large K & N filter. You must have flow to get things to burn right. I also have installed a K & N Fuel Analyzer in my exhaust to make it where I can adjust both Gasoline and Propane for maximum performance. All it amounts to is a oxygen sensor that tells you what ratio of fuel vs oxygen your exhaust makeup is. The optimum burning ratio(however they figure it) is 14.7 who knows what. I use this to adjust my dual fuel system to it's optimum. I am running Holley Projection fuel injection on gasoline and the Impco 425 for propane. I can truthfully say I get better mileage on propane than gasoline. I can't say I get the same power, but it isn't much down from gasoline. The motor runs much smoother on propane than gasoline. After 3000 miles the oil is still golden and clear!! I can sacrifice a little power for a better running engine.
    The down side to propane is the d**n tank. All of the tanks you can find are 60 gallons and more and take up too much space!! I put a half cab on my blazer and have a 84 gallon tank across the box. This means that you can get about 70+ gallons of propane in the tank, and at 16-18 mpg you can haul the mail a lot of miles without stopping---Thought about Rene when I was writing this. His butt would be really numb!! Anyway, I have been burning propane allot of years and intend to keep doing it with the price of gas the way it is. $1.90 here for unleaded + and $.72 for propane--I will burn propane.

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Propane costs almost as much to buy as gas does around here. In fact I bet it's pennies in difference. I went to fill up a tank for a BBQ and was like man this stuff was cheap and now it's insane....but hey anytime they can get ya for some change here in Cali you better believe they will....but I doubt for this area it'd be worth the time and effort to change over....

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I can confirm it acts like nitrous on a diesel. I drove a 2001.5 Dodge a few weeks ago that had propane injection controlled by a switch on the dash. Throw the switch and OH MY GOD did that thing come alive. Salesman told me it was a new factory option ($4500!).

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.