Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Propane powered

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jester, Jul 8, 2004.

1. jester

jester Registered Member

I was wondering, has anyone converted to propane? I have been kicking the idea around. I looked into it and it sounds like it wouldn't be too bad of an idea. My only problems with it would be what kind of MPG does it get? I wouldn't want to be out on the trail and run out of fuel, with no one else around here running propane rigs. Also how does it effect the sound of the exhaust, because we all know that half of our rigs are the sound. Does it make it quiter? I like how mine sounds right now and wouldn't want to lose that sound. Thanks for any information regarding these questions!

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

3. jester

jester Registered Member

Thanks a lot! Guess I should have searched a bit before posting.

4. jester

jester Registered Member

Just finished reading all of that info and most of my questions were answered except, how does it effect the sound of your exhaust?? Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG]
    1991 Chevrolet V3500 Crew Cab 4X4

This is the best link I have found on how to convert an automobile to propane.

http://franzh.home.texas.net/engine.html

Here are some links to suppliers of propane conversion kits.

http://www.acmecarb.com/index.html

http://www.hendrixsystems.com/

I am thinking of converting my 1-ton crew cab 4X4 to propane as well. My truck came originally with a small block 350, which is way too underpowered for my heavy 1-ton crew cab 4X4. I like to use it for light wheeling, weekend camping, and towing mobile homes or dirt bikes. My plan is to convert it to propane, and after it is converted, my truck will be exempt from emissions inspection. I will then buy a GM performance 502/ZZ crate engine for it, with aluminum fast burn heads, 9.6:1 compression, 502 horsepower, and 567 ft. lbs. of torque.

Since propane has an octane rating of 104 respectively, the higher the compression of the engine the better. Propane has a power loss of roughly 20% over gasoline-powered engines, so a 502 horsepower engine will have roughly 402 horsepower, which will be more than enough to pull my 1-ton crew cab around.