Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

propane pros and cons

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highlow, Dec 9, 2004.

1. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

I have a 74 that I am pretty sure I am going to install propane on it, but I was curios if anyone here is running with propane or has and what your experience has been with it?

EAT BEEF

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Cons
    I have heard slightly less power, but do not know this for a fact.
    Not always available everywhere.
    Usually cant barrow from anyone in an emergency.
    Need a new fuel tank.

Pros
    Sometimes cheaper than gas
    Run upside down until oil flow causes problems.
    Can put your fuel tank almost anywhere.
    Not as expensive to set up as fuel injection

Just some of my ideas.
    Anyone have any links for parts to set this up?

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

He is correct, its hard to find a gas station now days that sells propane unless your in the southwest(thats what I've noticed). There is KOA campgrounds or most campgrounds for that matter. The cost is cheaper however the price is going up for some reason but its still cheaper by at least 30 or 40 cents depending on location. I have alot of other info if you want to purchase a complete setup just let me know. I was REALLY considering this option until I went looking for places to fuel up. O yeah and regarding the fuel tank its easy to find one usually you can get one for free if you look in the right places. The propane conersion kits are cheap as well. You will not have to change your oil quite as often due to the VERY clean burn that propane provides. Hope this helps

4. four_by_ken

Yeah... either post up... or send me a PM on what you have.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have also heard your fuel mileage will decrease. Not to mention your truck will smell like a barbeque. :rotfl:

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The fuel is cheaper, but there is a power loss and a fuel mileage loss running propane.

As for the tanks, they only come round unlike a gas tank which could be any shape. If you have a K5 you're limited to mounting the tank(s) in a very vulnerable spot. I considered propane, but having to strap the 'bomb' under my truck i didn't like. Effective range would have been 180 miles or so with a 100 litre tank, so finding a fueling station would become a big issue often (at least in the US)

For about 20 years here converting to propane and running it was a good idea. The Federal government heavily subsidized and encouraged people to convert their cars and trucks. Distribution was large scale, so you could find a filling station almost anywhere. Propane itself was also heavily subsidized at the time and often sold for less than 20 cents/litre (90 cents US per gallon).

Thousands of vehicles were converted. Then the subsidies went away. Now propane sells for ~60 cents per litre ($2.75/gallon) and regualr gas anywhere from 70-85 cents per litre. Considering the loss of power and mileage as well as the inconvenience it just isn't worth it anymore IMO.

I spent less converting to diesel, and spend much less on fuel costs than either gasoline or propane. The diesel will also run at any angle until it runs out of oil pressure.

rene

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I spent hours researching propane... look at the propane guys website... problem with Impco and the like is that they make no CARB approved kits and thus its hard to do in calif for the older trucks,,, and the smog guys want the referree stations to do your smog... then they are all over your truck,,, not sure about Arizona but I would contact your smog people and see what they will require... I gave up... its KALIFORNIa ..of course
    cam

8. four_by_ken

:dunno:

9. k10clown

k10clown Registered Member

10. macg

macg Registered Member

I looked at it for a while also. I talked to a company in houston that does vehicle conversions and the guy told me that there was no legal way to put in on my 78 k5 (daily driver) because a new law says that the kits have to be approved by the EPA and nobody made an approved version for my vehicle.

It's frustrating (ironic) that the EPA redtape/BS won't let me make my vehicle cleaner.

I'm still considering it, so if this is incorrect I'd love to know.

Mac

11. four_by_ken

My house runs on propane. Would be nice if I could convert the DD to propane (2003 S-10) and then tap into the big tank outside to fill up.

That would be cool!

12. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

No smog in Mojave County, Az!!! When I used to live in California I dreaded smogin vehicles!

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I had a friend who owned at Dodge CTD Ram and had a propane injection, still ran on deisel but the propane kit added more power, he said it increased mileage when pulling but otherwise when he whenever he had the propane on it was for wheeling or racing ricers so there was no way to get mileage there....

14. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

I actually have dealt with propane more than I led on, I just wanted to hear other opinions, we have had many trucks on propane and a couple of tractors. My dad has always been a propane advocate. You guys are all right on that it does decrease in power and mileage but in all the years we have done it we have noticed small differences. Cost is definetly less we pay like a 1.05 or something but we have a 1000 gallon tank so we do buy in bulk. One thing you guys talk about is filling up but I would set this up as dual fuel. I'll have a 25 gallon propane tank that I will mount behind the passenger seat and then I have the 21 gallon stock gas tank and then have 2 5 gallon cans mounted on my tailgate. so running out of gas is not likely and also this rig will be trailered. So anywho it should be a good setup and it's cheaper than fuel injection.

EAT BEEF

15. camiswelding

16. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is a common power adder with diesels. That is because propane helps the engine completely burn all of the diesel which delivers more power. I don't think that would work on a gas engine. IIRC it has to recieve only gas or only propane.

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Available locally to me http://www.gotpropane.com/p3.html someday maybe I will do this instead of injection . I like the cleaner burning less dirty oil thing myself , engine last longer

19. four_by_ken

How do you do a dual setup? I thought the carbs were all differant?
    Enlighten us!!!!

20. camiswelding

According to the carb people here in calif the problem with propane in our older trucks is even if you start with new propane mixers etc they degrade and end up polluting MORE over time than a clean gas motor... this is because the technology is so basic and the equip is retrofit... it fits.. it works but it isnt 9002 iso engineering... its an add-on...
    I was considering it just to be a good greenie and I was going to build a hi comp propane motor (as we know porpane loves compression which equals higher efficiency=more HP) but after several chats with the techs I decided it wasnt worth the money....