Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

propane questions (lots)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Apr 9, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I am looking at switching to LPG. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have done a lot of searching here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, on pirate /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif, and on the web /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, and still need some clarification. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1. what is the difference between normal lpg and automotive lpg?

2. someone said the propane place needs a special filler to fill your tank can i buy one and take it with me just in case?

3. can i get a custom made tank or does it have to round to help stop pressure and weak spots?

4. what are the prices around where you are?

5. i have access to a 350 (already in), 396 and 400. (obvious dilema here) If i build it with higher compression and hardened valves will i notice the power loss? i dont tow with the blazer.

6. how do i figure out which carb (mixer) i need and 1 or 2?

7. I have a 37 gallon gas tank now could i just build a skid plate around a propane tank? (i dont rock climb just play in the mud)

8. What is the difference between cng lpg and lng?

9. I have hei how much hotter of an ignition do i need?

ok i think thats all. thanks for the help and patience.

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Okay - I haven't done the conversion or know much about it, but I know quite a bit about propane (work at ACE hardware where we fill tanks/RV's)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't know of any difference. We fill RV's, cars, and gas grill tanks with the same LP from the same tank. The only difference I can think of is that in a gas grill, the tank expels just the gas - no liquid, whereas in a car you'll be transferring the liquid.
    [ QUOTE ]
    2. someone said the propane place needs a special filler to fill your tank can i buy one and take it with me just in case?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes it's a special connection, but no you can't buy anything to carry along with you. There are two different connections (hoses) that the LP stations have, one is a male screw thread used for filling gas grill tanks, the other is a larger female fitting for filling RV's and cars. I think most all filling stations should have both.
    [ QUOTE ]
    3. can i get a custom made tank or does it have to round to help stop pressure and weak spots?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The reason tanks are round is because a circle/cylinder is the strongest shape. There is a great deal of pressure inside of a propane tank (that's what keeps it in the liquid phase)...not to mention propane is so cold that contact with the skin will result in third degree burns.
    Here at the University of Wisconsin - Madison, many of the university cars/maintenance vehicles have been converted to propane, and all of them have round tanks. (I looked under one of the newer chevy pickups and there were two cylinders mounted next to eachother - might have been connected into one big tank, but there were two definite cylinders.)
    [ QUOTE ]
    4. what are the prices around where you are?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The ACE hardware where I work is $2.50/gallon. Not really going to experience any savings in gas prices, that's for sure. I'm sure other places are much cheaper, but we're the only place around the area that fills propane, so the owner can get away with a little steeper prices.

Hope that helps.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that one...

TAX!

4. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

heavy4x4

thanks for the help.

If i cant bring a special adapter then i will have to run on dumb luck.
    I thought the tanks had to be round so thats no biggie. i also saw where it needed tobe propane specific and not an air tank.
    2.50 a gallon!!!!! gas is only 1.39 here so that is a major killer.

Triaged
    man you werent kidding. do you think i could get a tank installed at my house and add a pump to it like a gas station to fill it up. with some kind of pump i wouldnt need to worry about equalizing pressure.

qmule
    thanks for the link. it answered some more questions for me. i will definatley be going for the 2 smaller tanks that were at the bottom of the thread. i need my bed.

thanks again for the help

nathan

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Triaged
    man you werent kidding. do you think i could get a tank installed at my house and add a pump to it like a gas station to fill it up. with some kind of pump i wouldnt need to worry about equalizing pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have started thinking about the same myself...
    In CA if you have an "Alternative Fueled Vehical" you can drive in the carpool lane by your self. That and if you could fill it up at home you could ditch the $.18 CA state tax and the $.?? Federal tax per gal.

That and with about 106 Octaine just think of the boost you could put into a V8 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

im gonna check on it and see, even though we dont have carpool lanes. louisiana is relaxed enough i can probably get away with it. i'm still away on duty so now i have to call my wife and get her to check on it. better yet i will just get a calling card. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

0.18 state tax?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifOMG!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifI thought .085 was bad

ill let you know

nathan

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

triaged

i did some checking today. it can be done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif you will either have to buy or rent a ank from the propane distibutor around you. a 250 gallon tank just like is used for a house runs about 450 -500.00 then you just buy the propane that is for your /forums/images/graemlins/wink.giftractor /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. tank comes with a filler thing. i was just priced 1.20 a gallon. so this could be feasible. my wife was okay withit as long as the tank is up against the shop and not in the middle of the yard.

just lettin you know. to bad i wont be home until august.

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif