Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Propane vs. Gas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy4x4, Jul 10, 2000.

1. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

do propane engines get the same kind of mileage as gas ones?

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No they don't it takes more propane to operate the engine . Propane is just cheaper .

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

4. River

River 1/2 ton status

A very good day to you all,

A live in the Netherlands Amsterdam and the gas prices are about $ 4.18 a gallon. I own a `89 k5 Silverado and whit those gas prices it ain`t fun to drive this car but a lot off cars ride on l.p.g. (mixture of propane and butane) l.p.g. costs about $1.28 a gallon.
    My blazer rides on l.p.g. and it uses arround 12 miles a gallon and thats reasonable.

Greetings from Amsterdam.

River `89, K5, 350ci, TH700r4 ,2.73 ,33"

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

6. 83K5

83K5 Registered Member

We had buses that used propane . It was easy on the engines (longer service schedules ) burns real clean .They had 65 gal tanks and only had a range of 150 miles ( that's about 3 miles per gallon ) Granted these are buses . They should get about 5 maybe 5 1/2 miles per gallon using regular gas .

7. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

you can run high compression with propane without worry of detonation. Actually natural gas is better fuel than propane. Why don't you just diesel the truck with a banks turbo, get 20mpg and pull anything you want? Diesels last a lot longer too and you can actually find filling stations.

8. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Propane is a pain in the arse..........your motor runs hotter, causing more wear and tear on everything. Propane sytems are also known to be finnicky in extreme hot or cold weather. And of course, a propane motor has about 70-75% of the power of a gasser, so your fuel may actually cost less, but you have to use more of it. I also agree with the comment about availability of propane. It's sometimes hard to come across in some areas.

10. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

From my experiences of talking to my uncles (they lived on a farm) they love the propane...of course though they had a pick up, they said on person they knew had it in the back of a chevelle (they said propane was free to him) and his car smelled like propane really bad so he took it out. I bet it would be the same with a blazer. Another thing my uncles said is that you could have a huge tank and not need to fill it up for a long time. They also said there oil looked brand new like it had never been in a engine. I thought about getting one, but then I slapped myself and thought how much of an idiot i was for even considering it. My 2 cents worth of a comment.
    I didn't read through this so please ignore my mistakes

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

11. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

I am the manager of a propane Plant in the mountains of Northern Ca. All of our company trucks run on propane. My managers truck is a 1999 Chevy 3/4 4x4 and it runs great on propane. There is also a 1 1/2 ton boom truck 4x4 (1997) ford that we run on propane. Now I think that the newer trucks run better on this fuel because of the fuel injection and the computer box they make for the convertion. The ford gets about ten miles to the gallon in mountain driving. It has a big block 460 in it. Really not worth it for older trucks, system is heavy, high maintain, if your antifreeze gets low than your converter will freeze up and the motor will die. Propane tank is very heavy, you have to kind some place to mount it. For our application it wroks great but it you are thinking about this for fuel price saving,it's not worth it. stay with gas

12. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

just because the oil looks new in a propane powered vehicle after a while dosen't mean it's good. The lack of a long carbon chain keeps the oil looking fresh. I think methane is 2 carbons, ethane is 3, gasoline is like from between 8 and 12, kerosine like 15, diesel 18 to 20. Thats why all diesels pollute like mad. Its the viscosity of the oil you have to worry about not how clean it looks. JS