Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Propane

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nike, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Anybody know anything about burning propane. Also what is the difference between road propane and heating propane. Road propane costs 1.99 a gal. in Missouri and heating propane costs .99 a gal. I am told heating propane will drop to the .80 per gallon range in the summer. If we could save a buck or so a gallon, and get almost the same mileage!! Are a bunch of us a bit behind the curve?? Thanks Nike

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Difference is probably the hidden taxes. I'm sure it would be illegal to use the heating propane for vehicular use. Probably a question of who's filling it, and if the fuel is marked /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

There is a law against putting it into vehicles. And it is a HUGE fine if you do. However, if you have the means of pumping it to your truck at your house, and you have a home company come out and fill up your "home" tank... well then it would be kind of tough to catch you wouldn't it? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was thinking about propane on the my way to work. I want to either go fuel injected or propane in the not too distant future. If I go propane I think I will fab up a single turbo on it to gain back and make a little more power.

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

propane

i think i missed something

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you sure of the power output of an engine running on propane vs. gasoline? My understanding was that propane has a LOT less energy than gasoline.

Propane is popular in countries where gasoline is $3+ a gallon, but here, you'd have to make sure the cost savings was there, compared to how much power you'd be losing.

And if trying to save money on gas, why would you switch to something that required buying a turbo to get back some of the lost power? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

100 octane
    no carbon fouling your plugs and oil
    variable venturi type mechanical that will work at any angle
    entire system can be bought retail for $700cdn with more then 50% of that the tanks
    a 200L tank bedmounted, though ugly, is very cheap
    it does have slightly less heat output but hardly noticeable if you have a motor with some compression
    on a factory 8:1 truck motor you will miss it, but if you build a 10-12:1 for propane you will exceed the pumpgas powerplant
    you would always be ready for a BBQ
    propane is a better fuel, just lacks the support network in the US
    IMO it beats an EFI conversion hands down

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ha, well its all about running at any angle to me.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

which turbo you gonna use?

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ahh...wasn't sure if folks were looking for economy in a "gas" engine, or the other benefits you mentioned. I've known people that converted gas engines to propane, and the results weren't impressive.

11. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking about propane on the my way to work. I want to either go fuel injected or propane in the not too distant future. If I go propane I think I will fab up a single turbo on it to gain back and make a little more power.

[/ QUOTE ]

You gain back power by raising the compression.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Haven't even considered yet. Would be very open to suggestions. I'm just REALLY entertaining these ideas. 305 heads with 58cc heads, would put me around 10:1. Hmmmm..... or I could get some 64s cut down and actually have flow!

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

One question I have is, how much fuel can I expect to use? And what is a usual size for a propane tank? Of course I want to be able to go on the trails without a worry about running out of fuel.

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You will use a bit more propane then you would use gas. It isn't really all that much (even less if you build the motor for it). 20-30 gal should be plenty.

MJ:
    In the US propane is the #1 alternative fuel...more than double the # than the next closest (natural gas).

15. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

how would you run this
    how is a propane engine diff than a gas engine?

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm going to Suburban Propane today to discuss parts and prices.

17. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Used propane systems can be had for as little as $75 USD. That's what I paid for mine. I am installing it on a Cad 472BB so I am not concerned with the guestimated 10% power loss. I spent $250 for (2)10 gallon (43.5 LBS.) forklift tanks and $60 for #6 steel braided high pressure hose. $415 bucks total. Not to shabby if you ask me.

I have a damn near fail proof fuel injected motor with only one electric component to wear out. That part is an elec. over vacuum vapor lock that turns the fuel on/off in relationship to the ignition key switch. I actually have 2 in my system just in case. Propane is heavier than air so it will settle in the bottom of your engine if it leaks and once the fire is lit, KABOOM!

In Texas, you do not pay tax on propane at the pump. You go to the License and Registration office and tell them the amount of miles you drive per year. They take that figure and determine the amount of propane you will use and tax you there for that amount. In turn you get a window sticker that allows you to buy the fuel at a 0% tax rate. This sticker is required if you run the vehicle on the street. Get caught without the tax decal while running propane and you will be paying a very large fine.

As for the octane rating of propane, it has been determined to have a research value of 110 octane. At a refueling station it will be about 103 octane. Check out the write up on pirate here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/propane/index.html

Also note that with a cleaner burning engine your oil change intervals will be much higher. Of coarse if you don't do oil analysis on your used oil, you won't realize your true mileage potential between changes. But just for an example, my `03 F150's (government work vehicle on propane) oil is golden, like it was straight out of the bottle, with oil change intervals of 7500 miles. This is the cheapest 10W-30 oil that money can buy too. Just think of how many miles it could go between changes with synthetic oil.

18. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Yeah, some idiot tried to run the glass engine with regular gasoline. Big mistake, now half the cylinder is black and you can barely see the combustion. I am sure you'll pass emissions easier too with LPG /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

suburban propane was a wash, they don't sell stuff for the setup and couldn't tell me a place that did. Gonna call other places yet today.

20. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i had no idea you could use propane for vehicles

is there a big power loss?
    what kind of milage can you expect?