Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

propane

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ralph81, Apr 25, 2004.

1. ralph81

ralph81 Newbie

i was reading about propne conversions in the new four wheeler, and i am wondering if any one has done this, and how hard it is. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haven't done it but I can tell you this, the reason they gained power is their previous setup was aching bad. So don't expect a gain in horsepower like they showed. Loss is much more likely. If they would have done a tuneup and carb work on that thing before they put the propane on then dynoed it I bet they would have made more like 150 before.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I just drove home after installing propane
    easy and CHEAP to do
    I recommend the reuseable hydraulic -6 fittings, mine are SAE 45* but I would use the easier to find and adapt JIC/AN if I was starting from scratch
    try and get OHG 450 mixer and X1 reg

4. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    If the compression is bumped up accordingly, due to propane running VERy high octane, high 90's or low 100's, you will not see the loss in power. Run a gas motor at 6.5:1 and see how much power you get, same priciple.

I'll soon be installing a set of High-Comp Caddy 425 heads onto my already high compression engine to give it an extra kick. Its a 472 from '74 thats being run on propane with a mixer from a 454.

5. gmcsub4x

gmcsub4x Registered Member

What's the advantage of running propane?

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

clean burning, no electronics if upgrading from a carb, extended oil and engine life, tax writeoff for the cost of the conversion(up to $2000K for the `03 tax year), a great excuse to give grennies the big ole' number one :flipoff:, runs at any angle, easy to maintain,coolness factor, cheaper than unleaded (in most cases, but you use more), 104 octane rating at the pump

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i just got done installing a TPI on rig and to be honest i wish i had just gone with propane. it would have be a 1/3 of the price and so much easier to fix on the trail. i love my TPI but i could prove to be a real nightmare on the trail

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

price of propane today 54.9 cents a litre
    price of reg unleaded today 88.9 cents a litre

54.9 / 88.9 = 62%

diesel is up around the same price as gasoline IIRC

total cost for me so far and still climbing as I add nicer plumbing (bulkheads, reuseable hose ends, 'cheater' hose, dist recurve, etc)
    used system $230
    steel to make the bed mount $42
    lines and fittings $105
    100 litres of propane $50
    lets say another $50 for small fittings and new vacuum lines

9. gmcsub4x

gmcsub4x Registered Member

So, if I have a TBI what would I need besides the tank, fittings, hoses, etc...? Do I need to buy a carb, or are there mod kits for TBI's?

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think a carb manifold is the cheapest route
    depends how much stuff you have to change to lose the computer

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I want to speak to someone who actually knows how to build a motor for Propane power production. As I see it, a dual plane manifold, standard heads, just aren't for this purpose. Dual planes work on atomization and like almost all manifolds are bumpy and rough on the inside promoting fuel atomization. Same on the inside of the intake runner. As I see it, you could completely polish both the intake and intake runner, because being as Propane is the fuel AND air source there is no mixing or atomization needing to occur. Basically the best power to be made with a propane setup would be a simple single plane manifold with polished runners and headers with polish intake runners. Anyone tell me why my thinking is off? Also you want a cam with minimum valve overlap. Something like a torquey roller cam setup would be perfect. Also a good deal of compression, say 11.5:1 or 12:1 would be ideal to make max power. My thought is if I go to propane I am not adapting it to my present setup. Rather go to a 388 setup with heads that have, intake,exhaust runner, and chamber polished and ported a little to open up some breathing, also polished single plane intake, something like a Torker II, and a nice Comp Cams 4x4 Roller Retro Fit cam. Anyone have thoughts on this? If not can you point me to someone who would?

12. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I was reading that that artical as well. and i would like to do this as well.

If some one know a good link for this and a place read more about how to do this post up the link.

brett

13. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

there have been numerous write ups over on pirate but I still havent found a good reputable place to buy everything I would need.

if someone knows please post up. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I will have to watch PPB

15. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I spoke with this guy about 2 months ago and now Im gettin real serious about the conversion. He has his own website and the prices are not to shabby.
    http://www.propaneguy.com/

16. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I will have to watch PPB

[/ QUOTE ]

if you go over there and hit there search just pull up the word propane and it will keep you busy for a couple of days /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif have fun.

if you find any good info please let us know /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. fliptuner

fliptuner Registered Member

How's the availability for you guys in the States though? Up here in BC (Vancouver), it's not too bad until you get way out of the city. I heard that it's a bit worse down there.

I've run several vehicles on propane but the only thing that stopped me from running a BBC on propane in my K5 are the huge bombs you need to hold the fuel (and you'll need pretty big ones at that to get any range out of them)

I'll stick with my diesel thanks. But if anyone's interested, I've got an Impco setup for a 454 minus lines and tanks that I wouldn't mind selling.

18. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I'll stick with my diesel thanks. But if anyone's interested, I've got an Impco setup for a 454 minus lines and tanks that I wouldn't mind selling.

[/ QUOTE ]

how hard is it to install and how much are you asking for it ?

19. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are there propane gas stations up in Canada I think the only places around here are the propane stores that sell it for homes??? Let me know maybe I not looking in the right places....

20. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

When it comes to refueling a propane powered vehicle in the states you just have to do little planning. You will have to figure out the range of your tanks and check for refueling stations along your route. Most all KOA campgrounds sell propane and when you get used to it, you will see the big white above ground storage tanks everywhere. You can even fill-up at U-haul. Again you pay less for propane but use more so range is important to know.

I have a `03 x-cab F-150 with 5.4L (government vehicle) that runs dual fuel (propane 75% of the time). I avg. 8MPG in the truck with a 33 gallon tank. I have and effective range of about 211 miles. 211 miles because your tank is only filled to 80% of its actually capacity. The volume is controlled by an outage valve that you must open when you fill the tank. The un-used volume is to allow for expansion.

I am converting my Blazer to propane as are 3-4 of my friends. We are mostly weekend warriors with our rigs so range is not of concern for us. I purchased two 43.5 LB forklift propane tanks to run my truck with. That gives me a total capacity of 20.5 gallons of fuel. 4.24ish lbs of propane = 1 gallon. I plan to have an effective range of about 130 miles in my Blazer.

I spent $200 for 2 brand new tanks, $75 for a used Impco 425 mixer, Impco Model E converter, and fuel lock. I purchased 20' of #6 high pressure/steel braided hose for $60 and about $20 for fittings. That's all that's really needed.

Another neat thing is that while paying less for the fuel, most places pump it in for you so its almost like full service for half price /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif However there are some refueling stations starting to pop up on Interstate corridor's that allow you to pump your own if you have take the approved safety coarse. The safety coarse I took was a joke and all it teaches you is that Propane is very cold (potential frost bite) and heavier than air. It also shows you how to fill a tank.