Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Propane??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by smprider112, Aug 30, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

has anyone gone the route of propane injecting there diesels?? I have read about it, and it seems like a pretty descent bolt on since it enables yer diesel to use ALL the fuel it is given instead of the 85% they claim it uses...so Im just wondering is this a worthwile upgrade? and is it reliable??

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have heard it is worthwhile, but only on a turbo charged engine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

ok...nobody has ANY info on this /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

As stated propane will actually reduce performance/efficiency if used without a turbo. In a NA configuration the engine is already starving for oxygen, adding Propane simply makes this condition worse.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Well, that's what I have always thought, but..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I'm waiting for Dr. Lee Swanger's latest article to be published on TheDieselPage.com. He's running a tricked-out 6.5L N/A with propane AND Nitrous! He hasn't given many details yet, but just basically said wait for the article and it will explain it all.

Basically, he's doing the same thing as a turbocharger, only doing it chemically.

Casey

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, that's what I have always thought, but..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I'm waiting for Dr. Lee Swanger's latest article to be published on TheDieselPage.com. He's running a tricked-out 6.5L N/A with propane AND Nitrous! He hasn't given many details yet, but just basically said wait for the article and it will explain it all.

Basically, he's doing the same thing as a turbocharger, only doing it chemically.

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say this. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    You need more oxygen but you also need to get the propane in the chamber, with a Turbo it's much easier since all you have to do is have the propane seep into the air cleaner.
    With the nitrous you would have to spary it inside Iguess.
    I have a link for the turbo setup with propane, I can link it here, it's in an old CK5 post I asked a couple of years ago.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    I haven't had the time to install it yet but I will this winter.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

propane injection

Here is the post, someone answered with a very good write up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif