Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Propane

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kgblazerfive, Apr 7, 2005.

1. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anyone else running propane have some questions about running in cold weather

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

No problems for my K5 when its cold. This is Texas though and it is only cold for 3 months of the year. I have ran it in 20 degree weather without a hitch but it will sometimes stall a little until the system is warm.

On my duel fueled '03 Ford, the trucks propane ECM (it has 2, one for gasoline) won't allow the propane to run until the temp is above 25 degrees or so. Once the engine is warmed up a bit, it also will run just fine.

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

What kind of mpg do you get out of your propane engine?

4. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I don't know what I get out of my K5. It is trail only and gets trailered everywhere. I burn about 5-6 gallons in a day of wheeling which is very subjective.

The 5.4L Ford I drive for work (government job) is also a bad expample. The longest trip it has every done in one stint is 40 miles. It idles alll day long and is only driven in the city. I get 8MPG on gas or propane. In its 2 years, 3 months of service I have only accumulated 21,000 miles :crazy:

5. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My one ton gets 9-12 about the same as with gas, its the price of propane that I like $1.39 a gal. Mine runs ok but it doesn't like to get warm at all and takes forever to get even warm. I am probally going to pull the fan off and put some electrics on. Don't want it to run or be able to get hot cause its my tow vehicle. I also didn't want to mess with it but it looks like I will have too.